2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuse box clicking before truck will start

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 08:31 PM
nightfox
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuse box clicking before truck will start

I have a 95 ram 1500 - 5.9L - auto trans. When I turn the key, the dash lights all come on except for the check engine light. There is a rapid clicking noise coming from the fuse box located under the hood next to the battery. The clicking will gradually slow until it comes to a stop, at which point the check engine light goes solid and then turns off as it should when the key is originally turned to that position. The colder the weather is, the longer it takes for this process to complete. If it is 80 or above, the problem doesn't occur and the engine will start and run as normal.

Until the clicking stops, and the check engine light goes solid and then turns off, the truck will turn over but will not start (not getting any fuel I assume). I think there must be a bad connection that has to heat up before the proper contact is made for (maybe the fuel pump?) the truck to start and run.

I apologize if I didn't explain that well enough, if anyone has any advice or recommendations on a possible fix it would be much appreciated.

Old 04-27-2019, 08:58 PM
Torxhead
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My first guess would be a low battery or bad connections.

Old 04-27-2019, 11:45 PM
nightfox
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The battery has full charge. The engine will crank/turn over before the fuse box stops clicking, it just won't get fuel in order to start and run on its own. Connections on the both terminals are solid. I appreciate the reply, though.

Old 04-28-2019, 08:11 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,293 Likes on 3,040 Posts

Then you likely have a bad connection somewhere else. Check the PCM connectors, they like to corrode, and cause odd problems.

Old 04-28-2019, 12:54 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts

Can you pinpoint where the clicking noise is coming from ? Is it one of the relays ? Specifically the ASD or fuel pump relay, just put your finger on them and you should be able to feel if one is the source of the clicking.

Quick Reply: Fuse box clicking before truck will start