2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

One low beam out

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 12:20 AM
Happy_hank
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried putting a bulb that worked in the right into the one on the left and it didn't work on low beam. Keep in mind this is pretty much my first time using a multimeter. My understanding is I turn it to the lowest ohm settings (200) a 1 comes up and if I get a minus sign before the 1 it's open. That being correct with switch off the rd/or is open on both sides and the vt/wt no reading on both sides. Lights on low .2 ohms on right and no reading on left. High was 16.3 ohms on right and 16.3 ohms on left. I checked the other two purple wires as well and they tested open on all settings. I appreciate the help this far. I'm learning as I go.

Old 05-19-2019, 01:08 AM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 101 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Happy_hank
Lights on low .2 ohms on right and no reading on left.
Eric O. voice: "There's your problem lady !" The left side low beam filament doesn't get connected to ground, likely because of some wiring issue. There is a "joint connector" which connects wires together in the PDC (fuse box under hood). Given that the right side works the switches and ground from the PDC down work. Check the wiring between the left side head light connector and the joint connector. On the underside of the PDC is a 28 pin connector which has 5 VT/WT wires. Pin 6 is the one coming from the left headlight.

Last edited by DerTruck; 05-19-2019 at 01:12 AM.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:10 AM
Happy_hank
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help guys. The low beam wire was broken between the headlight and joint connector.

Quick Reply: One low beam out