Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Reload this Page >

Engine is misfiring and running really rough, what to do?

2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine is misfiring and running really rough, what to do?

Old 05-04-2019, 09:28 AM
truckerguy
Default Engine is misfiring and running really rough, what to do?

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 V6 ...

Parts replaced:
  • spark plugs and wires.
  • Ignition coil.
  • Refilled with new oil.

Problem:
  • Occasional rough idle
  • Heavy misfiring on acceleration
  • Hesitation to accelerate
  • Can't run on low RPMs without stalling or hesitating to rev

Engine code:
  • P0037 heated oxygen sensor heater control circuit low bank 1 sensor 2

What could be causing the backfiring or misfires, loss of power, hesitation, occasional rough idle?

PCV valve?
EGR valve?
O2 sensor?
Fuel problem?
Injectors?

I put fuel system cleaner through it and carburetor cleaner and it ran a little better, but still runs bad.

I gapped the spark plugs correctly and in order

Old 05-04-2019, 09:34 AM
truckerguy

I searched for EGR valve on parts lists and I don't think my truck has one, does it? None shows up.

But it has a PCV valve.

I don't know if oxygen sensor can cause this problem, can it?
If so, where is it? By the exhaust? Behind the transmission close to the rear wheels or closer to the engine?
I read there's two oxygen sensors. That code would be for the downstream sensor

Old 05-04-2019, 10:25 AM
Torxhead
Professional

Sometimes it can take awhile for all the codes to come up. Maybe take it to somebody with a scanner or get live data from a code reader that has that capability. Pulling spark plugs is a good start and look for wet ones. The egr valve went out years ago.

Old 05-04-2019, 03:15 PM
HeyYou
Super Moderator

No egr after 1996, inclusive.

How's the plenum? (see the stickied thread at the top of this forum.)

Old 05-04-2019, 09:02 PM
DerTruck
Professional

2001 shouldn't have plenum issues, Dodge/Chrysler acknowledged the problem with a TSB in 99 (?). Does it smell like gas at the exhaust ? As Torxhead wrote, live data from the O2 sensors is really useful, or look at the plugs it might be running way rich. P0037 relates to the heater circuit and if the O2 sensor is not at temp it doesn't produce "good" readings which in turn throw off the PCM.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:04 PM
HeyYou
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DerTruck View Post
2001 shouldn't have plenum issues, Dodge/Chrysler acknowledged the problem with a TSB in 99 (?). Does it smell like gas at the exhaust ? As Torxhead wrote, live data from the O2 sensors is really useful, or look at the plugs it might be running way rich. P0037 relates to the heater circuit and if the O2 sensor is not at temp it doesn't produce "good" readings which in turn throw off the PCM.
The TSB didn't fix anything. If the gasket was blown, they simply replaced it. So, later on down the road, same problem......

Old 05-04-2019, 11:54 PM
DerTruck
Professional

Granted I worked in a different industry and not at Chrysler but once an issue was identified we would not ship product with the issue still present. The gasket is at "AB" level which indicates it has been updated. But maybe I'm giving Chrysler too much credit

Old 05-05-2019, 07:13 AM
HeyYou
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DerTruck View Post
Granted I worked in a different industry and not at Chrysler but once an issue was identified we would not ship product with the issue still present. The gasket is at "AB" level which indicates it has been updated. But maybe I'm giving Chrysler too much credit
Pretty much. The gasket part number updated, but they still had the same problem. Also, the question becomes, how many folks actually had the work performed, and the updated gasket installed?

Could you link to the TSB? I am curious if they also replace the bolts that hold the pan in place.

Old 05-05-2019, 09:15 AM
Moparite
Champion

It was my impression that they offered a thicker gasket. But either way it's a known problem so fix it once and for all and do the Hughes kit. They can be found on ebay cheaper but Hughes didn't make them.

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...p?partid=27091

Old 05-05-2019, 10:47 AM
HeyYou
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Moparite View Post
It was my impression that they offered a thicker gasket. But either way it's a known problem so fix it once and for all and do the Hughes kit. They can be found on ebay cheaper but Hughes didn't make them.

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...p?partid=27091
Yeah, I think you are paying more for the name on the product there though. I mean, seriously, it's an aluminum plate.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine is misfiring and running really rough, what to do?

Featured Sponsors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: