Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Reload this Page >

factory security system

2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

factory security system

Old 05-14-2019, 04:36 PM
Matthew_P
Amateur
Default factory security system

I have considered putting in the Factory security system in my 2001 dodge ram, mainly for keyless entry. What components are needed, and what do I need to do to install it?

Old 05-14-2019, 09:49 PM
MoparFanatic21
Champion

Originally Posted by Matthew_P View Post
I have considered putting in the Factory security system in my 2001 dodge ram, mainly for keyless entry. What components are needed, and what do I need to do to install it?
Premium CTM, program the CTM, if you don't have st least the highline CTM you'll need the door harness along with the dash harness. Easy cheaper and easier to go aftermarket

Old 05-15-2019, 03:57 PM
Matthew_P
Amateur

Is there anything that needs to be done under the hood? How would I program the CTM, the dealership doesn't support my pickup, plus why does the CTM need to be programed given I bought the 2 block CTM?

Old 05-15-2019, 05:05 PM
MoparFanatic21
Champion

Is there anything that needs to be done under the hood? How would I program the CTM, the dealership doesn't support my pickup, plus why does the CTM need to be programed given I bought the 2 block CTM?
There are two 2 plug CTMs one is just a highline the other is Premium (supports alarm). It has to be programmed for the frequency of the key fob. They are able to program it, any FCA dealer can. You will need the wiring to the alarm if you want an alarm, those years they used the horns or an alarm, it's up to you.
You can't just plug in the CTM, it won't work.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:26 PM
HeyYou
Super Moderator

Personally, I think going aftermarket would be easier.......

Old 05-15-2019, 08:18 PM
MoparFanatic21
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou View Post
Personally, I think going aftermarket would be easier.......
That's what I said..

Old 05-16-2019, 04:39 PM
Matthew_P
Amateur

I do think that aftermarket is easier, I just don't feel comfortable cutting into the wires especially with the CTM. Are there any harnesses that need to be changed out under the hood, if I went with factory? (Such as the kill switch, or Alarm).

Last edited by Matthew_P; 05-16-2019 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:23 PM
MoparFanatic21
Champion

I do think that aftermarket is easier, I just don't feel comfortable cutting into the wires especially with the CTM. Are there any harnesses that need to be changed out under the hood, if I went with factory? (Such as the kill switch, or Alarm).
No the factory alarm didn't have any of that other then an alarm. Just remember you'll need the door harness (both), dash harness (has to be premium ctm), along with the premium CTM, and the alarm light that flashes when its engaged.

Around me you can get a basic alarm installed for under $300

Old 05-16-2019, 10:06 PM
Matthew_P
Amateur

Since mine is an SLT would the alarm be prewired, just like the Overhead Console with the mini trip computer?

Old 05-16-2019, 10:42 PM
MoparFanatic21
Champion

Since mine is an SLT would the alarm be prewired, just like the Overhead Console with the mini trip computer?
No sir

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: factory security system

Featured Sponsors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: