2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

02 2500 Diesel, Front end upgrade recomendations.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 12:54 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The ram Rock solid fix did a lot good for the steering on my truck. I also put a borgeson steering shaft (can't say how much better it is than an OEM replacement, but mine had play in it). The track bars are also a problem. I replaced with a Moog problem solver and happy with it. Still have original steering box and truck tracks straight down the road.

Old 06-01-2019, 10:51 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by racefan41
The ram Rock solid fix did a lot good for the steering on my truck. I also put a borgeson steering shaft (can't say how much better it is than an OEM replacement, but mine had play in it). The track bars are also a problem. I replaced with a Moog problem solver and happy with it. Still have original steering box and truck tracks straight down the road.
I could be wrong about what it did. I was going to do it to my truck but I thought that's a lot of work for minimal gain

Old 06-01-2019, 01:18 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
I could be wrong about what it did. I was going to do it to my truck but I thought that's a lot of work for minimal gain
Basically its taking up the slack so when you give the steering wheel input, the shaft doesn't move side to side before your gear box receives the input. If its got slop your constantly overcorrecting your st wheel to keep it going straight down the road. By itself its not a fix-all, but another piece of the puzzle.
It really not that bad of a job. I had it changed in probably 45 minutes by using a dermal with a grinder bit to cut the old stuff out.

Old 06-01-2019, 02:56 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Basically its taking up the slack so when you give the steering wheel input, the shaft doesn't move side to side before your gear box receives the input. If its got slop your constantly overcorrecting your st wheel to keep it going straight down the road. By itself its not a fix-all, but another piece of the puzzle.
It really not that bad of a job. I had it changed in probably 45 minutes by using a dermal with a grinder bit to cut the old stuff out.
I don't have a good dremel, might have to get one from Harbor Freight.
Anyhow I thought it only got rid of the "clunk" sound in the column. I didn't know these trucks even had a problem with the steering shaft moving left and right. Good to know, thanks for the info!!

Old 06-01-2019, 08:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

I don't have a good dremel, might have to get one from Harbor Freight.
Anyhow I thought it only got rid of the "clunk" sound in the column. I didn't know these trucks even had a problem with the steering shaft moving left and right. Good to know, thanks for the info!!
It does that too. Of course, I have yet to hear the clunk when I turn......

Old 06-01-2019, 09:10 PM
Joe.G
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I don't mean the common wear items.

Old 06-02-2019, 12:08 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
It does that too. Of course, I have yet to hear the clunk when I turn......
I don't either but my shaft has some play. I wish you could buy the u joints, instead of a new shaft

Old 06-02-2019, 08:03 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

I don't either but my shaft has some play. I wish you could buy the u joints, instead of a new shaft
Borgeson offers a shaft with u-joints. I think other folks do as well.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:53 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Borgeson offers a shaft with u-joints. I think other folks do as well.
I didn't want to buy a whole shaft but since I can't rebuild mine I will have to

Quick Reply: 02 2500 Diesel, Front end upgrade recomendations.