2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 V10 How to get more performance out of it ??Mods Options ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 10:09 PM
Aron L.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 V10 How to get more performance out of it ??Mods Options ?

Recently purchased 2001 2500 with a V10 Wanting to know the best mods or options to get more performance out of it ??

Old 05-30-2019, 10:26 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron L.
Recently purchased 2001 2500 with a V10 Wanting to know the best mods or options to get more performance out of it ??
Forced induction

Old 05-31-2019, 07:29 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Let it breath, so, headers, and good exhaust. On the V-10, a CAI might actually do something, but, they ain't cheap, so its a lotta dollars for not much performance gain. Maybe 1.7 ratio roller rockers, that will definitely be an improvement, but, not cheap either. Some folks still make cams for them, but, then you need a tune as well, and once again, that ain't cheap. Gears would help as well, it doesn't give you more power, but, lets the truck use the power it has more efficiently. And as the Fanatic said, Forced Induction. NOTHING wakes up a motor like forced induction. You will likely have to fab the parts for it, and it will most certainly require a better tune, not to mention larger injectors, etc.

There just isn't a lot of aftermarket support for the 8.0. Bummer.

Old 05-31-2019, 09:31 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Let it breath, so, headers, and good exhaust. On the V-10, a CAI might actually do something, but, they ain't cheap, so its a lotta dollars for not much performance gain. Maybe 1.7 ratio roller rockers, that will definitely be an improvement, but, not cheap either. Some folks still make cams for them, but, then you need a tune as well, and once again, that ain't cheap. Gears would help as well, it doesn't give you more power, but, lets the truck use the power it has more efficiently. And as the Fanatic said, Forced Induction. NOTHING wakes up a motor like forced induction. You will likely have to fab the parts for it, and it will most certainly require a better tune, not to mention larger injectors, etc.

There just isn't a lot of aftermarket support for the 8.0. Bummer.
That's why I did not go any further. I never messed with a V10 and don't know them like you

Old 05-31-2019, 01:17 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I' m running all stock with a hemifever tuner and couldn't be happier with it (91 octane). I think there's still an option or two out there for a modded throttle body but haven't found any reviews about gains with them on the v10.

Old 05-31-2019, 01:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Originally Posted by racefan41
I' m running all stock with a hemifever tuner and couldn't be happier with it (91 octane). I think there's still an option or two out there for a modded throttle body but haven't found any reviews about gains with them on the v10.
Likely none. Maybe better throttle response, but, that's about it. The stock tb is already pretty large, and free-flowing.

Old 05-31-2019, 05:04 PM
Jimythefan
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

HeyYou covered it. It depends on what you want to spend versus what you get.

On my truck, swapping the 3.55's for 4.10's and the SCT tuner (with a 180 thermostat ) from Hemifever woke my truck up. I've since added JBA shorty headers and a much better flowing exhaust and I'm going to stop there. That's roughly $2500 worth of add on's and I'm pretty happy with the results. It runs much better than it did when I brought it home, tows everything I've hooked up, but is still bad on fuel economy. 10 around town and 13 on the highway.

Old 05-31-2019, 06:16 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimythefan
... but is still bad on fuel economy. 10 around town and 13 on the highway.
10mpg is about what they get... empty on the flat, or up hill fully loaded...

Old 06-01-2019, 02:27 AM
Aron L.

Thank you very much . . if you have any links to those parts feel free to send them back thank you very much for the info .

Old 06-01-2019, 04:49 PM
vmaxept
Rookie

My 2000 V10 is stock. Well I replaced the air filter with a cleanable oil fiber filter - it might breath a little better. Was thinking about doing some kind of mod to the air intake box to get more flow.. but it runs great for me.
Did replace the water thermostat with a 190 might be 185.. but it runs cooler. I added two pusher fans : a 12inch in front of the AC / Rad and . a 10 inch in front of the transmission cooler. They are wired to a manual switch/relay both run together.. Helps some with the long loaded pulls. I did replace the stock fan thermo drive - the old one failed to engage.

I run 87 oct gas when not pulling and 89 with the trailer. If the mix is not 'right' I run 91 big $$ but as long as it runs with 89 I save some.
I get about 12 no load and 8 to 10 with the trailer. (GCW 18500) not fully loaded

I think for the most part ,this engine is set up OK for what I use it for, pulling the horse trailer. Runs strong and never ran out of power to pull the 7% 3 mile grade up to my place.

I did buy all the assorted sensor parts and coils I could find. I have a big box full of parts if needed.
Problem with this engine, its getting difficult to find parts.

Bottom line my suggestion is let it stock

Quick Reply: 2001 V10 How to get more performance out of it ??Mods Options ?