2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Plugs and Wires

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 05:34 AM
melodytoinvent
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Plugs and Wires

Okay, sorry but I haven't been here in a while, I hate how the search engine works and I'm in a little bit of a rush so forgive me. But I've got a 96 5.2 and have been getting a little bit of pinging or pre-ignition here and there. I always run premium and I did a tune up but it was long enough ago. So basically, recommended plugs? Read that 8mm wires are preferred? I did the cap and rotor then too but I feel like its time and I look and I see this and that but I trust this forum more than anything. Also I need new wipers but don't worry, I have that covered.

96 5.2 1500 4x4. K&N CAI. TB spacer. Jet Performance Module. Headers to DI/SO cat to SI/DO muffler.

Last edited by melodytoinvent; 06-08-2019 at 05:40 AM.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:33 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Standard copper plugs. Autolites, NGK, A/C Delco, etc. I really don't like Champion plugs, but, they were in there from the factory....... Good Quality 8mm wires as well. Yep.

Has the plenum been fixed yet? If you are getting spark knock even on premium fuel, something ain't quite right.

Old 06-08-2019, 11:45 AM
melodytoinvent
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, so all that is what I thought but just wanted to make sure before I put in the money, time and effort. I believe it has Autolite 3923s in it right now and standard 7mm wires so I'll probably go with NGK and some good 8mm wires.

To my knowledge the plenum has been fixed. I'm only the 3rd or 4th owner and I know the last owner but the one before him was a tech at the local dealership and when I brought it in one time I asked about some stuff and he told me that it had been replaced. And I try my best to keep up on maintenance, preventive and regular and I don't beat on the thing. I just believe its a pinging but its not an all the time thing either so...

Old 06-08-2019, 11:04 PM
Torxhead
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I am a big fan of MSD wires. After testing conventional ignition wire resistance against the MSD resistance there is really no question. I got 50 ohms per foot, which is what they are supposed to be at.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:40 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Should never have to run premium gas in these trucks unless tuned for it. If everything is running well it should not ping on 87 or even 85. I've fought ping a lot in 18 years with this truck so I know a thing or two from experience. The stock plugs work best - RC12YC and make sure the cap and rotor are brass and the wires are routed properly. Other than that, there's nothing to do different. Also, throw away the spacer and jet module and run seafoam through the booster twice a year. After 252k, I've learned a good maintenance regimen.

Quick Reply: Plugs and Wires