2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

body swap?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 11:21 PM
1974dodgeowner
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default body swap?

I have a 1994 Dodge 1500 regular cab long bed two wheel drive. Body is in great shape.
A friend of mine has a 1996 dodge 1500 4x4 extended cab, short bed for sale for dirt cheap. Engines blown up.
As far as I can tell, the overall length is the same between to two trucks. I was wondering if it were possible to make my reg cab long bed body, fit the extended cab short bed frame.I assume the cab mounts would not be the same. But I am an accomplished welder. Have to cut a hole in the floor of my cab. Other then that what else would have to be done? Anyone out there crazy enough to have tried this? lol

The following users liked this post:
MoparFanatic21 (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 12:22 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by 1974dodgeowner
I have a 1994 Dodge 1500 regular cab long bed two wheel drive. Body is in great shape.
A friend of mine has a 1996 dodge 1500 4x4 extended cab, short bed for sale for dirt cheap. Engines blown up.
As far as I can tell, the overall length is the same between to two trucks. I was wondering if it were possible to make my reg cab long bed body, fit the extended cab short bed frame.I assume the cab mounts would not be the same. But I am an accomplished welder. Have to cut a hole in the floor of my cab. Other then that what else would have to be done? Anyone out there crazy enough to have tried this? lol
To my knowledge no one has tried it. I'm unsure of the lengths are the same, but they might being yours is a single cab. What I would do is just swap your motor into it.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:57 AM
1974dodgeowner
Amateur

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
To my knowledge no one has tried it. I'm unsure of the lengths are the same, but they might being yours is a single cab. What I would do is just swap your motor into it.
Sorry, I forgot to mention his cab is rotted in places I didnt know truck could rot. There is a fist sized hole rusted in the roof, rocker panels are gone, bottom of doors are mostly gone. Im still going to buy it for the engine and hood and the new tires he just put on it. Was just kicking around ideas in my head.

Old 06-25-2019, 02:28 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by 1974dodgeowner
Sorry, I forgot to mention his cab is rotted in places I didnt know truck could rot. There is a fist sized hole rusted in the roof, rocker panels are gone, bottom of doors are mostly gone. Im still going to buy it for the engine and hood and the new tires he just put on it. Was just kicking around ideas in my head.
If anything it can be done, the front cab mounts are the same. From there back may be different. If you can weld it wouldn't be hard. Grind the mounts off if they don't line up and reweld them. Easy.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:53 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

I don't think the frames are the same. Especially right behind the cab, where the frame curves up to the bed mounts.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:55 PM
1974dodgeowner
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I don't think the frames are the same. Especially right behind the cab, where the frame curves up to the bed mounts.
ooohhh I hadnt thought of that. Ill look at that, I am sure your right though. Thanks for the replies everyone. Imma buy it anyway. New tires on it have less then 1000 miles on it, and it has a good cowl induction hood. Only giving him 400 for it. Ill rebuild the long block for mine, and sell whats sellable off of it.

Quick Reply: body swap?