2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Where does everyone get their OEM parts from?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 08:31 PM
Hero6
Rookie
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Where does everyone get their OEM parts from?

I am completely giving up on autozone parts. Where does everyone get their OEM parts from? Link would be great. If not OEM where do you buy quality parts from? I am tired of junk parts and just got a new to me truck and only want to use quality parts on it.

Old 06-29-2019, 09:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

The various auto parts stores do sell better quality parts, but, you have to ask for them, and not take whatever is cheapest.....

For the stuff that really HAS to be OEM, I look up the part number, and search amazon, or ebay. Can usually find something.

The following users liked this post:
Spillage (06-30-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 10:02 PM
KDodge75
Rookie
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I search amazon and ebay like you but I found that Wal-Mart has added car parts now as well. Not other vendors selling through Wal-Mart but actually sold by Wal-Mart. They must have added an interface into the wholesale car parts inventories like what other online vendors do. No matter what the price, if you pick up in store, it's free shipping. It ships from the vendor to the wal-mart and you pick it up there. If over a certain price, shipping is free to home.

Home depot has also added car parts. Probably the same interface into the wholesale parts inventories.

Both Wal-Mart and Home Depot prices have been about the same as rock auto or better but always better than amazon. I've bought many AC Delco parts through Wal-Mart for my Suburban. They certainly don't have as large of an inventory listed as amazon and rock auto so only about 50 % of what I've looked up on their sites turned up something.

If I need it now, I buy from advance auto parts. They always have at least 15% off buy online, pick up in store but sometimes have 20% and even 25%. No minimum price. You also get speed perks with your purchases that can be applied to future purchases.

I also find that many parts sold as store brand are actual OEM. Many Dorman branded parts I've purchased have been OEM as well.

NEVER buy spark plugs from ebay sources or other vendors on amazon. If the price is too good to be true, it's probably counterfeit. I got burned by counterfeit AC Delco iridium plugs. After 13,000 miles, the "iridium" tip was nothing but a nub. Almost .100" gap instead of .040" that it was when installed.

Old 06-29-2019, 11:21 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by KDodge75
I search amazon and ebay like you but I found that Wal-Mart has added car parts now as well. Not other vendors selling through Wal-Mart but actually sold by Wal-Mart. They must have added an interface into the wholesale car parts inventories like what other online vendors do. No matter what the price, if you pick up in store, it's free shipping. It ships from the vendor to the wal-mart and you pick it up there. If over a certain price, shipping is free to home.

Home depot has also added car parts. Probably the same interface into the wholesale parts inventories.

Both Wal-Mart and Home Depot prices have been about the same as rock auto or better but always better than amazon. I've bought many AC Delco parts through Wal-Mart for my Suburban. They certainly don't have as large of an inventory listed as amazon and rock auto so only about 50 % of what I've looked up on their sites turned up something.

If I need it now, I buy from advance auto parts. They always have at least 15% off buy online, pick up in store but sometimes have 20% and even 25%. No minimum price. You also get speed perks with your purchases that can be applied to future purchases.

I also find that many parts sold as store brand are actual OEM. Many Dorman branded parts I've purchased have been OEM as well.

NEVER buy spark plugs from ebay sources or other vendors on amazon. If the price is too good to be true, it's probably counterfeit. I got burned by counterfeit AC Delco iridium plugs. After 13,000 miles, the "iridium" tip was nothing but a nub. Almost .100" gap instead of .040" that it was when installed.
No OEM part was ever a Dorman

Old 06-29-2019, 11:59 PM
KDodge75
Rookie

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
No OEM part was ever a Dorman
Not saying dorman produced oem parts for vehicle manufacturers. I'm saying that the dorman part is the exact same part from the manufacturer that makes the OEM part. For instance, I purchased an airbag sensor recently that was sold in dorman packaging but is the same part with the same manufacturer name molded into the plastic, same sticker, same hologram authenticity sticker, same OEM part number. I've purchased dorman parts for honda and the part in the box was in honda packaging. Bought a dorman challenger wheel speed sensor and when I opened up the box it was mopar branded with the mopar part number.

Hope that clears up the confusion.

Last edited by KDodge75; 06-30-2019 at 12:45 AM.
Old 06-30-2019, 12:24 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Not saying dorman produced oem parts for vehicle manufacturers. I'm saying that the dorman part is the exact same part from the manufacturer that makes the OEM part. For instance, I purchased an airbag sensor recently that was sold in dorman packaging but is the same part with the same manufacturer name molded into the plastic, same sticker, same hologram authenticity sticker, same OEM part number. I've purchased dorman parts for honda and the part in the box was in honda packaging. Bought a dorman challenger wheel speed sensor and when I opened up the box it was in a mopar branded with the mopar part number.

Hope that clears up your confusion.
Now I see what you are saying, but Dorman makes junk. Me and many members had problems with them

Old 06-30-2019, 12:44 AM
KDodge75
Rookie

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Now I see what you are saying, but Dorman makes junk. Me and many members had problems with them
I've had problems with a few Dorman parts as well. I'll never use anything again made out of rubber sold by them. I replace the EVAP hoses with Dorman hoses with Dorman stamped on them. Not three months later the CEL is back on and it's the large EVAP code again. Crawl back under the truck and the hoses were cracked on the ends already! Replaced them with heater hose, brass elbows and clamps. 7 years later, still going strong.

Old 06-30-2019, 02:42 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

I've had problems with a few Dorman parts as well. I'll never use anything again made out of rubber sold by them. I replace the EVAP hoses with Dorman hoses with Dorman stamped on them. Not three months later the CEL is back on and it's the large EVAP code again. Crawl back under the truck and the hoses were cracked on the ends already! Replaced them with heater hose, brass elbows and clamps. 7 years later, still going strong.
I hear that I personally don't use anything Dorman. That's just me though.

Old 06-30-2019, 07:23 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Hero6
I am completely giving up on autozone parts. Where does everyone get their OEM parts from? Link would be great. If not OEM where do you buy quality parts from? I am tired of junk parts and just got a new to me truck and only want to use quality parts on it.
Usually if I want Mopar parts, I get the part number and search. Sometimes you can refurbish your own parts, like alternators, starters, lenses, etc. I often source parts from my local junk yard. In fact I'm there often enough that they recognize me when I walk in. If I'm buying aftermarket, I use internet reviews to assess quality. The national aftermarket brands are available from many suppliers, if you have the time to wait for shipping - you can typically save some cash.

Old 06-30-2019, 10:21 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Rockauto! If I don't already know the OEM it usually is noted on one of the options.

Quick Reply: Where does everyone get their OEM parts from?