2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2nd gen trans swap

Old 06-30-2019, 09:46 PM
Rinn
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2nd gen trans swap

Hello everyone. I have a 97 dodge ram 1500 4x4 auto. The trans is throwing codes P0753 and P1765. Its not down shifting and Im not sure if its shifting into OD. I have found an auto trans out of a 2001 with the same motor with (so they say) 43000 miles. Any idea where to start diagnosing and would the 01 trans be a direct swap? The current trans does go into first and shifts correctly if I come to a stop and shift into park then down to D1 and up from there. Thanks in advance for any help. Not sure if this matters but my 97 had a 5.9 that was converted to 5.2. I swapped everything. Motor, harness and computer. The truck did not have a motor in it when I got it. I did use the correct flex plate when I installed the motor. Thanks again

Old 07-01-2019, 07:26 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

Shift Solenoid A, and Trans Relay control.

Seems there is an issue with the 12 volt supply to the trans. Think I would chase that one down first, it may solve all of your problems, and swapping the trans won't fix it. The shift solenoid code is likely a result of the relay code. So, chase that one down, and go from there.

The 01 trans won't have provisions to mount the t-case shifter, and the internal electronics are also different, and would need to be changed to work properly in your 97.

Old 07-01-2019, 08:01 PM
Rinn
Amateur

Thank you. I have an appointment scheduled with the dealer to look at it. He said they have a trans tech. Would it be better to take it to a trans shop?

Old 07-01-2019, 09:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Six of one, half dozen of the other. I would be more inclined to trust the dealer..... They may be more expensive, but, the techs aren't quite as 'hungry' either. Trans shop will likely tell you it needs a rebuild, just to get the labor time. (and some shops would charge you for the rebuild, but, wouldn't actually rebuild the trans.... quite likely just fix the current problem, and then hope it lasts longer than their warranty period.....)

Old 07-03-2019, 02:58 PM
Rinn
Amateur

Just got the truck back from the dealer and you were correct. This was what they found. Gov pressure code, trans 12v supply code, trans 3-4 shift code. The harness is missing the trans relay wire. They couldnt give me a quote on running that wire. He said it could be 1hr or it could be 10hrs although he thinks it is on the lower end of that. Its $90 an hour for their labor. Im considering trying to tackle this on my own. Not sure where the wiring should stop and start.

Old 07-03-2019, 03:03 PM
Rinn
Amateur

Wiring is the one thing I dont have much experience at. At least not when it comes to this type of wiring. Im guessing they mean the wire from the pcm to the fuse box is the one missing

Old 07-03-2019, 05:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, think I would clarify which wire they are talking about...... You can download the service manual for your truck from here. Wiring diagrams are in section 8W. Find out which wire is missing, then find it on the wiring diagrams, and put one back. WHY it would be missing is a REALLY good question.... Was the truck converted from manual to auto at some point??

Old 07-03-2019, 07:28 PM
Rinn
Amateur

It was factory automatic. When I put the 5.2 in it I changed the computer and the harness as well. I couldnt find one for a 97 5.2 auto anywhere locally so I got it from ebay. Description said 97 5.2 4x4 auto. I will call the dealer on Friday to see exactly which wire is missing.

Old 07-03-2019, 07:30 PM
Rinn
Amateur

So the harness was from ebay and the pcm I got from a local junkyard.

Old 07-12-2019, 05:59 PM
Rinn
Amateur

Just an update on trans issue. The wire from the pcm is there and the wire from the PDC to the trans is also there. I will leave it to the experts. I've tested the wires and the wire at the PDC that is suppose to have power when the ignition is on is not getting power. I have it scheduled at the dealer on the 18th. I will let you know what they find. Hopefully once they get power to the relay it will fix the shifting problems.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2nd gen trans swap