2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HELP 95 Dodge engine swap question

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 07:14 PM
kswannbro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP 95 Dodge engine swap question

Hey everyone, my engine recently blew in my 95 Dodge Ram 1500. So I found a 5.2 out of a 97 jeep and decided to throw it into it. Now the truck is running fine most of the time, but it seems to be misfiring after running awhile and it's displaying a code 32 which is egr system failure.Im guessing it's because my new engine doesnt have egr. But how would I go about fixing this problem to get the truck running right?? Thanks all. 🤙

Last edited by kswannbro; 07-07-2019 at 08:03 AM.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:13 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Either install the egr stuff, or program it out of the PCM. Trouble is, I don't think anyone does custom tunes for the OBDI PCMs any more. Used to be able to send them out to a couple different companies for re-tuning..... not so much any more.

Old 07-07-2019, 10:12 AM
kswannbro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Either install the egr stuff, or program it out of the PCM. Trouble is, I don't think anyone does custom tunes for the OBDI PCMs any more. Used to be able to send them out to a couple different companies for re-tuning..... not so much any more.
Man, that is unfortunate. What if I swapped an ecu from a 97 dodge ram 5.2 without egr? Would that be an easier option? Is there a way to 100% delete egr without a flash etc? Maybe a wire I can pull out of ecu or something?

Last edited by kswannbro; 07-07-2019 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

In 96 they went to OBDII, which is completely different from the earlier electronics. You *could* get the PCM an harness from a 96 or 97, but, they are going to expect a 46RE trans, and will whine about one not being there. (unless you have manual trans, which would make the swap easier.....) You could probably use a manual tune pcm, and then just wire the vacuum/pressure switches for TCC and O/D. I think that would be the simplest solution. (as these things go.....)

No way to fool the PCM into thinking EGR is actually working..... Usually, they just aren't that sensitive about it, and clearing the code will leave it gone for a while.

No way to tune it out of an OBDI PCM without having some rare equipment. It would be interesting to have a look inside one of the OBDI PCM's, and see if some of the stuff the GM guys are using for doing their own tunes would carry over.... Not going to hold my breath though.

Quick Reply: HELP 95 Dodge engine swap question