2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stalling with no load when running normal??

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 09:58 PM
JonMon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Bested again

So I went to the auto parts store, after unsuccessfully trying to track down a MOPAR cam shaft sensor, and bought a new sensor from them. I monkeyed my way in to behind the engine and took off the distributor cap, and rotor, and replaced the sensor within, and while I was at it, I cleaned the throttle body, along with the IAC port, (I forgot to look in the plenum!!!) but they just replaced (all?) of the gaskets when they did the engine (will confirm).

After I put the truck back together, I took it for a test drive up the mountain behind my house. It was running great, moving up the bumpy dirt roads with no trouble at all, when the rpms sputtered a bit, then the truck drove fine for a minute or so, followed by another sputter and rpm drop. At this point I pulled off the road with the hopes that it would pick back up and be OK, but it slowly began to die, making a hissing noise that gradually got louder as the truck was dropping in rpms. I climbed out, and popped the hood and tried manually giving it throttle, right at the throttle body, and just as when I give it gas with the pedal, it sputtered and died. Giving it gas seemed to make it bog out and die faster.

This time when it died, I did the ol' key-turn trick to get a couple codes. I don't have a digital odometer so I assume the codes I got (from recording the flashing lights on the dash) would be the same as the list on here??
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...code-list.html

? 12 = P0012 A Camshaft Pos Timing Over Retarded Bank1 ?
? 55 = P0055 HO2S Heater Resistance Bank1 Sensor3 ?

I was doing a bit of reading on them, but I was wondering if these are the correct codes to use, and if you guys had any thoughts or ideas? Thanks!!

Old 07-23-2019, 10:01 PM
JonMon

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Is the crank sensor a genuine mopar sensor??? If not, I would get one, and replace it.

Not sure about THAT sensor, but MOPAR discontinued my truck's cam shaft sensor. Yay.

If I cant get to the bottom of it, I'll try that for sure.

Old 07-24-2019, 08:29 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,195 Likes on 2,948 Posts

12 Battery disconnected within last 50 key cycles.

55 End of codes.

So, the pcm doesn't have a clue what's going on.

Old 07-24-2019, 08:41 AM
JonMon

12 Battery disconnected within last 50 key cycles.

55 End of codes.

So, the pcm doesn't have a clue what's going on.

Well that's pretty f8cking **** ty. I was feeling better about what the other codes were.....

Back to the drawing board I guess. ...

I was thinking the wiring could be a potential issue, but I guess I will have somebody look at it again

Old 08-05-2019, 09:30 AM
JonMon
Default Update

Just figured I'd post an update on my issues

Did some reading online and some people mentioned replacing the ASD and Ignition relays.

I replaced those, and I didn't have any issues with the truck for about a day and a half (and we did probably a couple hundred KM). I was taking it on another cruise afterwards, and the same thing happened.

While I was driving I noticed a sputter (slight drop, then back to normal) in the RPMS. Shortly thereafter the truck bogged out as If it wasn't getting enough fuel. Same issues as before.

I went to the parts store and grabbed new IAC and PCV valves and installed them, and I scrubbed my whole TB clean to no affect.

The truck still stalls.

I'm going to check the spark plugs to see if it's running rich and if it is then I'll think about O2 sensors... somebody mentioned that "dodges have bad PCMs" so I was considering that. ..

Also , even tho I did replace the fuel pump last year, I was thinking it could be that ,, or the fuel pressure regulator/filter.

I'm going to look at it for a day or 2 here, check plugs, wiring to fuel pump,etc., catylitic converter (if mine has which I'm pretty sure it doesnt) . Maybe the muffler is clogged?

Once I get pad on the 15th I was thinking of having the mechanic take a look.

Any ideas or thoughts??

Old 08-05-2019, 11:27 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

What brand fuel pump was installed?

Would be nice if you could do some data logging, and see where things are at when the issue occurs.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:23 PM
JonMon

What brand fuel pump was installed?

Would be nice if you could do some data logging, and see where things are at when the issue occurs.
Not sure about the pump, but it was probably aftermarket, my buddy at kal tire did it for me about 50 000km ago. Any brand recommendations? (Chrysler parts are becoming harder to get my hands on)

Yeah I want to grab a scan tool (OBD1) but I can't seem to find one for less than 250 bucks CAD.
I'm going to check at some pawn shops in the area.
Anywhere online that has some for a good deal?

The last mechanic I had work on my truck didn't even have a scan tool that worked for it. My transmission guy was nice enough to let me know about that.

Old 08-05-2019, 05:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Delphi or Denso for pumps. Skip airtex, they suck.

OBDI stuff is getting HARD to find...... Most of what I find are outdated professional scanners that are now obsolete. They run north of 300 bucks though, unless you get really lucky.

Last edited by HeyYou; 08-05-2019 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:08 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Maybe they didn't set the fuel sync correctly when they replaced the engine.

Old 08-05-2019, 08:37 PM
JonMon

Originally Posted by 2bit
Maybe they didn't set the fuel sync correctly when they replaced the engine.

Yeah I would be thinking along those lines too (especially because I have warranty for the engine install) but I had the problem before hand unfortunately. They replaced the crankshaft sensor and a bunch of seals (obviously) with hopes of solving the stalling issue. And my truck burnt about a pint of oil a week beforehand so it was a motivating factor to swap engines. (200,000+ miles /375000km at that point)

The truck runs like a ****in dream otherwise so I'm going to get to the bottom of it, whether it's fuel pump/ pressure regulator-filter or maybe O2 sensors or wiring or the PCM itself lol.

When I do solve it I'll post the results.... not too many happy endings on these forums (at least from what's posted)

I dumped 3500-4000$ into it in the last month so it'll be on hold for a but (minus the pulling of sparkplug and checking the wiring etc.)

Maybe one day I'll buy some diagnostic tools to make things easier on me

Quick Reply: Stalling with no load when running normal??