2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

High beam won't come off

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 03:51 AM
boxer15
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High beam won't come off

Hi,

I own a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport and the high beams are stuck on no matter what. I currently have them unplugged because of this, and I tested the voltage with the truck off and locked and the high beam plug is still live with 12.43 volts to it on both passenger and driver side high beam plug. Also, the high beam indicator is on and won't come off either, but if I use the column lever to switch the high beam on and off it seems to work because it clicks and the low beam plug transfers power to the 3rd prong for the high beams like it should.

I also tried swapping the fog light relay with the quad high beam relay in the box under the hood, but that did not fix the problem either.

If anyone knows what could be causing or have ideas on what to check I would greatly appreciate it!

Old 08-18-2019, 04:23 AM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts

Wrong light bulbs ? The Sport uses different bulbs from the other trucks (9007 vs 9004). They look the same at first glance but the filaments are different and more importantly the pinout is different. More info here: https://sparksmith.com/blogs/news/do...and-9007-bulbs
There is always power to the light bulbs by design, the switches connect filaments to ground.

Old 08-18-2019, 04:36 AM
boxer15
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DerTruck
Wrong light bulbs ? The Sport uses different bulbs from the other trucks (9007 vs 9004). They look the same at first glance but the filaments are different and more importantly the pinout is different. More info here: https://sparksmith.com/blogs/news/do...and-9007-bulbs
There is always power to the light bulbs by design, the switches connect filaments to ground.

Wow, did not know that. Will check tomorrow and report back but I am thinking that this is probably the issue. Thanks a lot for this information!

Old 08-18-2019, 12:20 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by boxer15
Wow, did not know that. Will check tomorrow and report back but I am thinking that this is probably the issue. Thanks a lot for this information!

If the bulbs aren't the problem, it's probably your smart switch. Headlight dimmer, wipers, turn signals all in one. $70-100 at Autozone and $25 up on Fleabay. You don't have to pull the steering wheel. Just disconnect the battery so the air bag doesn't blow up in your face and take the top and bottom steering column covers off. A couple or so bolts and one plug and it will slide right out. I've had several cars and trucks do that and the switch broke inside.

Last edited by ol' grouch; 08-18-2019 at 12:20 PM. Reason: I kant spel wurth a durn.

Quick Reply: High beam won't come off