2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Strange blend door issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 05:20 PM
Scott Zyniecki
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange blend door issues

So my blend door isnt functioning on a 99 1500, Pulled out the actuator and the motor is turning when hooked up to an exterior battery. The blend door itself is also rotating fine... but if i plug the blend door in it is not turning when the control is switched. I hooked up the voltmeter and am getting the 12v out of the control wires. Anyone have any ideas on how to get it running? Everything seems to work independently just not connected. I should mention, it happens with two of them (i picked up a spare from the junk yard) possibly i should be getting various readings from the voltmeter as i turn the switch, and the switch is bad?

Last edited by Scott Zyniecki; 08-31-2019 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-31-2019, 09:42 PM
Nicholas Seyfarth
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most likely the gear inside has broken a tooth, take it apart and check. If its broken you can't brake it. This is the most common problem. the blender door with cycle to determine its position, in the process of doing so it will begin to make a clicking sound. This is due to a broken tooth on one of the gears and the other unable to fully catch the next tooth.

Old 08-31-2019, 09:47 PM
Nicholas Seyfarth
Amateur

The various readings should be different positions kinda like a dimmer switch

Old 09-01-2019, 01:17 AM
Scott Zyniecki

Originally Posted by Nicholas Seyfarth
Most likely the gear inside has broken a tooth, take it apart and check. If its broken you can't brake it. This is the most common problem. the blender door with cycle to determine its position, in the process of doing so it will begin to make a clicking sound. This is due to a broken tooth on one of the gears and the other unable to fully catch the next tooth.
All the gears are good, i took them both apart to check. The problem seems to be related to power some how, as the motor doesnt turn when it is hooked up, but does when I hook it up directly to a battery, that being said, i am reading 12v from the temp switch to the connector, so I'm really confused.

Old 09-01-2019, 02:38 AM
Nicholas Seyfarth
Amateur

Originally Posted by Scott Zyniecki
All the gears are good, i took them both apart to check. The problem seems to be related to power some how, as the motor doesnt turn when it is hooked up, but does when I hook it up directly to a battery, that being said, i am reading 12v from the temp switch to the connector, so I'm really confused.
Does the door assembly seem to be intact, can you move the door manually with no obstructions or is there resistance. Maybe the door assembly has failed. Just bouncing ideas.

Old 09-01-2019, 09:58 AM
Scott Zyniecki

Everything about the door is good, if i leave the actuator hanging and not hooked up to the door but still plugged in it doesnt turn. I noticed this has 3 wires on it while most actuators only have two. It appears that they are two ground wires but should the voltage be switching between them?

Old 09-01-2019, 12:16 PM
Nicholas Seyfarth
Amateur

At what point does it switch, I guess I'm asking if it switches the flow of electricity due to the air flow selection being changed or some change you are making to the function of the door or is it independently switching electrical flow

Old 09-01-2019, 12:23 PM
Nicholas Seyfarth
Amateur

It may have three wires for its motor control/ directional control, in order to reverse travel of the door when selected I want to say blender doors with two wires are using the body where bolts contact the unit for installation as the ground.

Old 09-01-2019, 12:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicholas Seyfarth
It may have three wires for its motor control/ directional control, in order to reverse travel of the door when selected I want to say blender doors with two wires are using the body where bolts contact the unit for installation as the ground.
It screws in to plastic though. I suspect the two wire fellers just reverse polarity on the wires.

Blend door controls temp. So, moving the temp **** should make voltage do things at the servo motor. It needs to be indexed properly, for it to work right.... I suspect this is especially the case on the two wire fellers, as the controller won't have a clue where it's at, if it moves independently from the controls. (say, taking it off, and re-indexing it.....)

Quick Reply: Strange blend door issues