2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Overhead console swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 03:59 PM
NitrousNic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overhead console swap questions

Hey y'all, new to posting on the forums here, but I've been a stalker for a couple of years now. Recently started the overhead console swap on my truck.

My truck- 1998 Ram 1500 5.2 extended cab
Donor- 2000 Ram 1500

I already cut my headliner, installed the console with computer, auto dimming mirror, sun visors, and the ambient temp sensor. I'm still in the process of getting the connector to run through the dash. It's really kicking my butt. I'll get it eventually. What I'm afraid of is that the computer won't be able to communicate with the truck. Is that the case? If so I know it'll be the CTM. I did pull it off the donor, but I didn't get the harness. Would I need to change harnesses, or would it be plug and play?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know there are a few posts on this, but they are rather old.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

I think it depends on which flavor of the CTM you currently have in your truck, there were two different flavors, and one had only one connector, the other had two.... I think. The information in the older threads is likely still accurate, they are definitely worth a read.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:20 PM
NitrousNic

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I think it depends on which flavor of the CTM you currently have in your truck, there were two different flavors, and one had only one connector, the other had two.... I think. The information in the older threads is likely still accurate, they are definitely worth a read.
Thanks for the reply!
Believe me, I have gone through that thread over 50 times. It's a lot of back and forth and dead ends. A few other posts have mention the dilemma I'm having, but never posted an update as to if it worked or not. I am pretty sure I have the one with two connectors. But to be honest I wasn't looking. When I go back at it tomorrow, I'll double check, and if anything I'll post an update. Still haven't gotten that connector to come through...

Old 09-03-2019, 08:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

You should already have the 'high line' CTM then. Which will make your job easier.

Old 09-05-2019, 05:19 PM
NitrousNic

Okay, so I do not have the high line CTM, nor do I have the port to plug in the 3 wire connector. What does this connector do? Is there any way I can splice a connection to trick the computer into working? I don't so much care for the MPG function, but the compass and temp would be nice.

If you can't tell, I'd like to avoid having to swap my entire harness...

Old 09-05-2019, 06:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Have a service manual for your truck? If not, get one here. Have a look at the differences between the wiring for the various CTMs. Go from there. (wiring diagrams are in section 8W.)

Old 09-07-2019, 05:30 PM
NitrousNic

Okay, so...

I got the console to start working. Compass, MPG stuff is working too. To anyone that is planning on trying this, I kinda cheated. I cut the wires from that extra white connector and spliced them into my OBD2 port. They have the exact same colors as the one from the white connector. The only one I didn't use is the solid black wire (which is the VTSS). Feel free to look at the wiring diagrams for the exact info.

Everything is working, EXCEPT my ambient temperature sensor. It was reading "OC" which I found out means open circuit (duh). I swapped the ground to be close by the sensor. And now it's reading 93°F, but it hasn't changed.

Does the ground have to be on the same circuit as the sensor itself?

Old 09-07-2019, 07:18 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by NitrousNic
Okay, so...

I got the console to start working. Compass, MPG stuff is working too. To anyone that is planning on trying this, I kinda cheated. I cut the wires from that extra white connector and spliced them into my OBD2 port. They have the exact same colors as the one from the white connector. The only one I didn't use is the solid black wire (which is the VTSS). Feel free to look at the wiring diagrams for the exact info.

Everything is working, EXCEPT my ambient temperature sensor. It was reading "OC" which I found out means open circuit (duh). I swapped the ground to be close by the sensor. And now it's reading 93°F, but it hasn't changed.

Does the ground have to be on the same circuit as the sensor itself?
There should be two grounds. One right by the console and one for the sensor is on the driver's fender.

Quick Reply: Overhead console swap questions