2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tap/rattle only in park and neutral

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 10:15 AM
Junkyard Junkie
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tap/rattle only in park and neutral

I'm almost done with swapping a 5.9L and 46re from a '03 Durango RT into a '98 Wrangler. I'm now at a point where I can drive it and have put about 100 miles on it so far.

I'm getting a rattle, or a tapping in neutral and park and only after the engine has reached full operating temperature. From what I've gathered from internet research, this is likely to be a torque converter, or flexplate issue.
I removed the TC inspection cover and found some rub marks on the TC. The marks are wide and thin in places which to me seems like where the intermittent rubbing is happening.

The flexplate to TC bolts are tight and I can't see any cracks in the flexplate.

What is rubbing one the TC, I'm assuming it's the cam sensor, is this correct?

Any thought are appreciated.

Thanks again.

Old 10-02-2019, 11:04 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Crank sensor. Mounted right behind the passenger head. It reads those holes in the flexplate, and the rub marks would be in the right spot if the sensor was too far toward the back. That is indeed where it would rub. Pull the crank sensor, and see if it also has evidence of contact.

The following users liked this post:
Junkyard Junkie (10-02-2019)
Old 10-02-2019, 08:31 PM
Junkyard Junkie
Rookie

Got the crank sensor out and sure enough there are rub marks on the back of it.
Now I'm thinking about the fix for that, there does not appear to be any adjustment space in the mounting bolt holes, which leaves me the option of either bending the bracket, or wallowing out the holes to arrow me to mount it more forward.

Second option has me slightly concerned because I don't know if the edge of the bracket will sit against the block, so it can not be adjusted. There is no space for me to be able to see back there to see what might happen.

Third option is to see if I can slide some washers between the TC and flexplate to move the TC back a hair? Really not sure on this either.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Junkyard Junkie; 10-02-2019 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:48 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I'd try bending the bracket.

Junkyard Junkie (10-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 04:50 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Don't need to bend it much. I gotta say, that really wasn't the best spot for dodge to put that particular sensor......

Old 10-03-2019, 10:45 AM
Junkyard Junkie
Rookie

Bending the bracket did it. The noise is still there, but barely. You'd have to be listening for it to notice. I'll remove and bend a hair more and that should do it.

Thank you again.

2bit (10-03-2019)

Quick Reply: Tap/rattle only in park and neutral