2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trans issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 06:29 PM
Andy Keller
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans issues

Hey guys so I've run into a huge problem. Going down the road, 1st gear is fine, 2nd gear is fine as long as I keep it in 2nd manually. If I keep it just in normal drive, it's like the trans is slipping. Went through and adjusted the clutch bands, fluid and filter change, and new governor pressure sensor and solenoid. I'm stumped as to what it could be, unless the trans is just completely ****ting the bed and needs a total rebuild. I'm kinda pissed cause I just got the truck off jackstands about a week ago too

Old 10-02-2019, 08:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,212 Likes on 2,963 Posts

Well, I am guessing 96 or newer? If it still exhibits bizarre behavior even after the work you have done...... yep, time for a rebuild. Sorry man.

Old 10-02-2019, 10:39 PM
Andy Keller

Yep it's a 96, and I think I'm gonna swap it to a manual so I dont have to deal with these headaches in the future. The way it's looking and from a quick search on marketplace doing a manual swap is gonna end up being way cheaper than a rebuild. I haven't done a ton of research on rebuild kits yet, any pointers on which kit I should get if I do decide to go that route instead of a swap?

Old 10-03-2019, 04:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,212 Likes on 2,963 Posts

Depends on your budget. There are rebuild kits out there that will yield a trans that can take 500 horsepower...... on a stock engine, it will be essentially bulletproof. And, if you are going to rebuild it, might just as well make it better than stock. Of course, you don't have to get that berserk on it. Check out the rebuild kits on transmissioncenter.net, or summit racing, etc. Go with quality parts, and a GOOD torque converter. Do it once, do it right, never worry about it again.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:20 AM
KillerLemming
Professional
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would just rebuild it, and than bulletproof it.

Old 10-04-2019, 03:46 PM
PR1AWRet
Veteran
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

They are easy to rebuild. I have $1500 just in parts for my rebuild which is way overboard. $200-$400 can get you a nice upgrade, nothing to radical. "Performance Rebuild 46re" (same build kit for H too) into the search on ebay, pick your poison. I'd get something with better frictions maybe a Zip Kit shift kit for the valve body. Inspect your parts when disassembling and replace worn items. Read MonteC post up in the stickies. Watch this series for the 46 r/h rebuild, www.transmissionbench.com/46REvideos.html is covered from the first bolt out for disassembly, to the last bolt in on the rebuild. This series is on youtube also under transmissionbench.

Last edited by PR1AWRet; 10-04-2019 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:11 AM
Andy Keller

Hey guys, little bit of a follow up. Ended up taking the trans apart to see what happened, and boy am I glad I did. Previous owner ended up doing a full (well, almost full) rebuild, as all the clutch components look pretty much brand new, and same with the seals. But, neglected the output shaft bearing in the OD housing. The bearing ended up diving off a cliff, sending metal shavings across the OD housing. Already checked the VB, cleaned it out, everything is fine there. The output speed sensor was COVERED in shavings, and I think that was my main issue. Ordering a new bearing and filter as soon as possible, wiped off the case, and wiped down the components covered in shavings. All in all, ended up saving a ton of money by opening up the transmission instead of just grabbing a junkyard trans or buying a rebuild kit right away

Quick Reply: Trans issues