2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

97 Ram 1500 4x4 starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 01:55 PM
Kerstingm
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Ram 1500 4x4 starting issues

I have an intermittent no start issue with my 97 100 4x4, I am 99% sure it is a no spark problem. The issue is it will start one day and not start the next day, or it will start today and not start tomorrow. I am leaning towards the cap, rotor, plugs, & wires or the coil. Is what I am not sure of can they cause an intermittent issue like this? I thought if they were bad then that's it? Or could this be a crank sensor, can it cause an intermittent no start (no spark issue?)
Can anyone suggest anything else I should be looking at?
Every time I go to try and troubleshoot this the truck starts and runs fine. This is mainly happening after sitting over night, when I try to start in the mornings it just turns over, but will not fire. I can hear the fuel pump working and smell gas so I am 99% sure it's getting gas.

Old 10-05-2019, 02:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,394 Likes on 3,134 Posts

Wouldn't hurt to do the tune up anyway, if you don't remember the last time it was done. It's *possible* that could be the issue, but, I think I would be leaning more toward the crank sensor, or coil. Unless/until you can troubleshoot the issue, while its happening, anything you do is going to be a guess.

Old 10-05-2019, 05:07 PM
Kerstingm
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Wouldn't hurt to do the tune up anyway, if you don't remember the last time it was done. It's *possible* that could be the issue, but, I think I would be leaning more toward the crank sensor, or coil. Unless/until you can troubleshoot the issue, while its happening, anything you do is going to be a guess.
I just tried swapping the coil and no change, my next guess is going to be cap amd rotor. Yet I have checked for spark at the coil and I didn't have anything. Should I be able to do a spark test at the coil to distributor wire?

Old 10-05-2019, 06:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,394 Likes on 3,134 Posts

Yep, if you ain't getting spark there, you aren't going to get it anywhere else either. But, it is pulsing the injectors....... (are the plugs wet?) which would imply that it is actually getting crank sensor signal.

Make sure you are getting power to the coil, and see if the PCM is actually trying to control it. (test light across the connector pins would likely work.)

The following users liked this post:
Kerstingm (10-08-2019)
Old 10-25-2019, 07:28 AM
Kerstingm
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yep, if you ain't getting spark there, you aren't going to get it anywhere else either. But, it is pulsing the injectors....... (are the plugs wet?) which would imply that it is actually getting crank sensor signal.

Make sure you are getting power to the coil, and see if the PCM is actually trying to control it. (test light across the connector pins would likely work.)
If the PCM is working i should see 12 volts at the plug for the coil when the engine is being turned over?

Old 10-25-2019, 09:31 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerstingm
If the PCM is working i should see 12 volts at the plug for the coil when the engine is being turned over?
I think so

Quick Reply: 97 Ram 1500 4x4 starting issues