2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shutter/misfire around 2K RPM after Tune Up

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 09:50 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

I've never had a bad batch from Napa. I just trust it and pull one wire and match it up from the kit. I'm sure it's fine as I don't recall it being all sets of 2. There is the extra coil I remember.

Old 10-15-2019, 09:51 PM
schmidtp
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, this has been the oddest tune up I've done. New wires tried with old plugs and new ones and still same weird shutter at very low cruising speed. I am almost positive the coil has never been replaced, should I throw a new one at it?

If not a different rotor and cap? It just makes no sense since it ran fine before. Maybe I got bad fuel? I just filled up after I did the first tune up round.

I am going to drive it to work the next couple days to maybe just work out whatever issue it is feeling like having right now. Maybe I haven't given the PCM enough time to re-learn? I just have done this on the 5.9 probably 5 or 6 times and never had this issue.

Last edited by schmidtp; 10-15-2019 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:15 AM
schmidtp
Veteran

Got it to throw a code, Cyl 8 misfire. I'll check wire routing again tonight. For some reason I doubt it can be anything else since it ran fine before.

Okay so I drove it to work with the following symptoms. Just to reiterate, I had none of these symptoms before I put a new rotor, cap, plugs, and wires.

- Sputter while very light throttle around low speed, when I give more throttle it goes away
- Sputter at high speed (60+) when RPMs are around 1500

- Idles perfectly
- Accels up to 75 mph perfectly

I have only unplugged negative side of battery when doing work have haven't done a full reset with turning the key. I am going to triple check wire routing again to make sure they don't cross tonight. The only other thing I haven't touched is the new rotor and cap I put on.
Any other thoughts?

Last edited by schmidtp; 10-16-2019 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:37 AM
Ramman18
Champion

If #8 is misfire, start there with either the wire or plug. Check the cap terminal also. Caps can be bad. It's obviously not that bad if it drives normal and idles normal.

Old 10-17-2019, 10:21 AM
schmidtp
Veteran

Swapped in a new cap and the problem went away, doh!

My coil looks pretty warn, one of the metal pieces has broken apart from the rest. I was going to replace last night but some brilliant engineer decided to hold it to the mount with phillips head bolts. Even with PB blaster they are pretty stuck and starting to strip.

Anyone just cut the bolts on these? Where would I get replacements or should I just find a hex head bolt that fits?

Thanks,
Patrick

Old 10-17-2019, 11:38 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by schmidtp

My coil looks pretty warn, one of the metal pieces has broken apart from the rest. I was going to replace last night but some brilliant engineer decided to hold it to the mount with phillips head bolts. Even with PB blaster they are pretty stuck and starting to strip.

Anyone just cut the bolts on these? Where would I get replacements or should I just find a hex head bolt that fits?

Thanks,
Patrick
That's the first thing I do. Replace with hex head bolts and I tack weld the nuts on the back

Old 10-17-2019, 11:43 AM
Ramman18
Champion

Originally Posted by schmidtp

Thanks,
Patrick
Glad it's fixed. Yeah, those screws suck. Just find better bolts at fastenal or similar.

Quick Reply: Shutter/misfire around 2K RPM after Tune Up