2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear end bouncing after new shoes and drums

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 06:55 PM
Chunx89
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end bouncing after new shoes and drums

Well like the title says! Just put new shoes and drums on, this is my first time ever doing drums. Everything was great! Drove down the street no noise no grinding, came to the second stop sign and boom, the rear end is hopping up and down while I’m braking.

took the drum off and the shoes are facing right direction, longer shoe in rear and shorter shoe in the front. All springs and everything in tact. No idea what this could be!

Old 10-14-2019, 07:26 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Chunx89
Well like the title says! Just put new shoes and drums on, this is my first time ever doing drums. Everything was great! Drove down the street no noise no grinding, came to the second stop sign and boom, the rear end is hopping up and down while I’m braking.

took the drum off and the shoes are facing right direction, longer shoe in rear and shorter shoe in the front. All springs and everything in tact. No idea what this could be!

Was it axle hop or the suspension cycling? I assume your shock absorbers are up to snuff.

Old 10-14-2019, 08:19 PM
Chunx89
Professional

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Was it axle hop or the suspension cycling? I assume your shock absorbers are up to snuff.
im unsure, I never had this until replacing the brakes. If I brake soft it won’t do it, but if I brake even a little hard the back tires start bouncing off the ground. My buddy says the tires are bouncing when I brake he sees them bouncing from my driveway

Old 10-14-2019, 08:52 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

im unsure, I never had this until replacing the brakes. If I brake soft it won’t do it, but if I brake even a little hard the back tires start bouncing off the ground. My buddy says the tires are bouncing when I brake he sees them bouncing from my driveway

Well, the girl has new (brake) shoes and is feeling sexy and is wiggling her rear end.

Sorry, I've been rather lonely lately. Seriously, it's axle hop. Your rear brakes didn't have much stop left in them. Either one of two things is going on here. Either you have some grease or oily finger prints on the shoes and they are grabbing a bit too much or the rear brakes are working REALLY good and your rear shocks aren't up to the task of damping the oscillations. Pull the drums and spray the shoes and drums down with brake cleaner and see if that helps.

Shock absorbers are really named wrong. They don't absorb shocks so much as they dampen bounces. Your tires and springs actually absorb the shock and the shock absorber dampens the bounce.

Old 10-14-2019, 09:30 PM
Chunx89
Professional

Well, the girl has new (brake) shoes and is feeling sexy and is wiggling her rear end.

Sorry, I've been rather lonely lately. Seriously, it's axle hop. Your rear brakes didn't have much stop left in them. Either one of two things is going on here. Either you have some grease or oily finger prints on the shoes and they are grabbing a bit too much or the rear brakes are working REALLY good and your rear shocks aren't up to the task of damping the oscillations. Pull the drums and spray the shoes and drums down with brake cleaner and see if that helps.

Shock absorbers are really named wrong. They don't absorb shocks so much as they dampen bounces. Your tires and springs actually absorb the shock and the shock absorber dampens the bounce.
https://imgur.com/a/DLMEQGy

i would say they definitely had no life in them, funny thing is they didn’t start making noise until last week! So should I get new shock absorbers? What about the adjustment? Do I adjust just enough so the drum fits right on? Also I cleaned the shoes up good, wiped them down with some brake clean and all the contact points greased

Old 10-15-2019, 06:23 AM
ol' grouch
Champion

https://imgur.com/a/DLMEQGy

i would say they definitely had no life in them, funny thing is they didn’t start making noise until last week! So should I get new shock absorbers? What about the adjustment? Do I adjust just enough so the drum fits right on? Also I cleaned the shoes up good, wiped them down with some brake clean and all the contact points greased

Did you clean the drum too? It's metal so it should clean right up but contaminants will transfer to the shoes. I've actually seen shoes worn worse than yours. The metal base was worn off. How weak are your shocks? If the truck keeps bouncing, yep, they need replaced. As for how tight the shoes should be, they need to slide over the shoes and just barely drag. Once you get everything buttoned up, and the dance is over, back up a few times and apply the brakes firmly. This will cause the self adjusters to do the final adjustment on the shoes.

Old 10-15-2019, 06:11 PM
Chunx89
Professional

I replaced the shocks today and it’s still bouncing when I shake. Good news is the new shocks feel great over bumps but didn’t fix the brake problem

Old 10-15-2019, 06:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

Did you put the shoes on backwards? Short one goes on the front.

Old 10-15-2019, 07:07 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

I replaced the shocks today and it’s still bouncing when I shake. Good news is the new shocks feel great over bumps but didn’t fix the brake problem

New shocks will still let it bounce. Just not keep bouncing. Does the whole axle hop or just one side? Either you have contaminants on the brakes or possible you have an issue with the springs. Possibly a broken shackle or other problem. It's a little hard to figure out at this remove.

Old 10-15-2019, 08:54 PM
Chunx89
Professional

New shocks will still let it bounce. Just not keep bouncing. Does the whole axle hop or just one side? Either you have contaminants on the brakes or possible you have an issue with the springs. Possibly a broken shackle or other problem. It's a little hard to figure out at this remove.
I’ll take the shoes back off and give them a good cleaning, the leaf springs look fine. No shifting or cracked springs and this only happens when I brake.

As soon as I get in the truck, I have a stop sign down the street and it won’t do it while I’m coming up to it. After I leave that stop sign there’s another one shortly after. When I hit the brake softly (if I start stopping from real far away it’s fine) but when I start to stop like any normal person would the whole truck seems to shake and hop, it’s weird because I feel it coming from the rear. I’m stumped with this! It’s so bad it can’t be driven, I’m aiming towards a brake cylinder or adjuster, if neither fix it I don’t know what else it could be. Today I put it in reverse and hit the brakes firmly, I feel like from doing that it started hopping real bad before I even hit the first stop sign

Quick Reply: Rear end bouncing after new shoes and drums