2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46 RE park neutral switch wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 04:38 PM
Junkyard Junkie
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 46 RE park neutral switch wiring help

I'm working on a 5.9L and a 46re swap in a 1998 Wrangler. I made the engine, trany harness myself and thought I was done with hashing out the bugs and mistakes I had made. I thought wrong.

I've sorted thought all the other CELs that have come up, with help from here and I'm hoping I can get some more help with what I hope is the last wiring problem.

I keep getting the P1899 code. I've replaced the pigtail connector and put in a new OEM park/neutral switch, didn't help.

I have ignition on 12v power to switch terminal 1. I have continuity from switch terminal 2 to PCM connector C1, pin 6 (think that is how it's suppose to be)

I also have continuity from switch connector 2 and 3, I think this is not right and possibly my problem.

As an easy "fix" I cut the wire going to switch connector 3, thinking this might remove the issue, but it didn't work.

Before I remove the harness again, for the umpteenth time, I was hoping to get some thoughts from here about this and in particular about the continuity between switch terminal 2 and 3 and if there should or should not be continuity. I'm thinking not.

Thanks again.

Old 10-17-2019, 06:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,397 Likes on 3,137 Posts

What year is the engine/trans/pcm from?

Old 10-17-2019, 07:32 PM
Junkyard Junkie
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
What year is the engine/trans/pcm from?
Oh yeah, guess I should have mentioned that before.
It's a bit convoluted but basically it's a 2003 Durango RT engine and trany, all sensors have been replaced with 1998 sensors, wiring harness and computer are from a 1998 Ram.
The rooster comb in the trany was changed out to work with the older park switch and the trany internal electronics are also 1998.

Thanks.

Last edited by Junkyard Junkie; 10-17-2019 at 11:36 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,397 Likes on 3,137 Posts

Grab the 98 ram service manual from the faq section, have a look at which wires are supposed to do what on that switch, and see if yours matches up. I don't *think* much changed, but, it sounds to me like you have your bases pretty much covered there.

The following users liked this post:
Junkyard Junkie (10-17-2019)

Quick Reply: 46 RE park neutral switch wiring help