2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine revs before transmission Engages

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 07:50 PM
Lostfisher1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine revs before transmission Engages

Hey Guys I am having an issue with the transmission on my dodge. Periodically when go to accelerate from a stop the truck will rev up then the transmission engages lurching the truck forward. This seems to happen more on hills, but will occur at any time. This happens with both the reverse and forward gears. the transmission is a 47re. I have done a filter change, governor/pressure solenoid upgrade, and the 3-4 spring upgrade. Any pointers or ideas would be great. I don't know if adjusting the bands would help I was also thinking of testing the ports with a pressure gauge. Just looking for some advice from someone who might be more knowledgeable.

Old 11-21-2019, 12:06 PM
wca_tim
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a good diagnostic chart for the 46/47 re transmissions if you search the forums for it...

Old 11-21-2019, 11:05 PM
Lostfisher1
Old 11-22-2019, 01:06 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Lostfisher1
Yep

Old 03-26-2020, 09:39 PM
Lostfisher1

I figured I would go back and give you guys what I thought is the resolution. I dropped the pan and installed a shift kit and removed the check valve in the cooler line. It shifted better but was still giving me issues. With it reeving up then engaging after the fluid pressure built up.. I think that the previous owner and me under filled the transmission fluid level. I checked it in neutral but you have to make sure that the fluid level shows on both sides of the dipstick. The first time I filled it i was only showing fluid on the one side of the dipstick. I thought it was just wiping off the other side when pulling the dipstick out of the tube. Turns out I was short about 3 quarts. After that I have not had any issues...

Quick Reply: Engine revs before transmission Engages