2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front end clunking sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 11:49 PM
bamory
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Front end clunking sound

I don't have a clunking sound, mine is more of a groan ocassionally when I put on the brakes, almost sounds/feels like its right under my feet, i have it tracked down to only my left side and its not in the steering, possibly in my upper and lower suspension arms, I torqued them down. but bushings could be getting worn

Old 12-18-2005, 11:53 PM
CopperDesigno
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You haven't put new shocks on it? I was chasing a clunking for some time, thought it was ball joints and anything else up front. Ended up the new Rancho shocks I put on were causingit. The bottom bushing was wrong, so they say. So I replaced them again, and it went away. I reached in between the spring coils and just shook the shock, the bottom moved, that's how I found it.

Old 12-19-2005, 12:19 AM
grandmazer

I would check the sway bar links and bushings. Get under vehicle while it's sitting on the ground. Have someone rock the vehicle side to side like they are trying to tip it over. There should be no movement in the links or the bushings. If them seem ok check shocks for tightness in the same fasion. Good luck.

Old 12-19-2005, 12:25 AM
grandmazer

Ohh I forgot to add that many noises can be easier to find by rocking the vehicle in that fasion. Something else that comes to mind is the innermediant shaft could also be a issue. Mostly heard and felt in steering wheel while turning and braking.

Quick Reply: Front end clunking sound