2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1997 Ram 1500 318 4x4 trans. downshifts but won’t upshift.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 10:41 PM
Craig Kennedy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah those are my thoughts also. Around here I’ve heard stories of shops fixing smaller less expensive things making a few hundred here and there then saying you need a new tranny.

what is the averAge rate for tranny rebuilds? Re manufactured or rebuild? I can put a reman in myself. Probably could rebuild one if I find a detailed write up I’m just afraid my patients won’t last.

are the rebuilds typically cheaper then getting a remanufactured tranny. I was seeing threads from 2012 that paying a shop to take one out and rebuild
it and put it back in was $2500 on average. Advanced auto sells remanufactured ones for about $1600. That is if I decide a new/rebuilt tranny is the cure to my issue.

Old 01-08-2020, 08:26 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

I don't think there are any "new" ones out there, they are pretty much all rebuilds. And rebuild and reman are essentially the same thing. Its the quality of the rebuild that varies. A stock rebuilt trans for 1600 seems high to me.... but then, I haven't had to deal with it for quite some time either..... (and then, I was more concerned about the GM transmissions, and those were cheap to rebuild.)

The cost to pay some shop to do it varies dramatically. Depends a lot on where you are, and what the market is like. Call around, chat with some of your local shops, see what they have to say.

There are also companies out there that do 'improvements' on their rebuilds. They tend to cost more than a stock rebuild, which really shouldn't come as a surprise..... but, you get a meaner than stock trans, that will last a good long time. Depending on how much you wanna spend, you can get a trans rated for 800 plus horsepower. (serious overkill for a stock truck, but, you would NEVER break it. )

Old 01-08-2020, 10:13 AM
Craig Kennedy

Yes I planned on looking into getting the tranny beefed up a little if I do go for a rebuild. I was thinking the prices I was seeing for a reman or them rebuilding your current one was pretty steep for a vehicle with this old of technology and for a tranny that is known for failing and needing rebuilt. Usually if it’s more common for something to go bad the parts Are cheaper at least that’s whAt I’ve seen.

thanks again for the help and response. I only posted one other time on another forum and people just gave me a hard time and trolled me. Glad to actually have a conversation about the issue I presented here.

Old 01-08-2020, 12:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

We subscribe to the theory that forums are here to help folks, and we try very hard to maintain that.

Check out these guys for some interesting rebuild kits. Doing it yourself really isn't that bad, there are lots of resources available on the web for just such an exercise. Several members here have done so, having never been inside an auto trans before. Basic hand tools, and a press are about all you really need. (not to mention a warm, clean, dry place to work........)

Regardless of which way you go, keep us updated. I would love to know what is actually causing it on your truck.

Old 01-08-2020, 02:46 PM
Craig Kennedy

I have the space (2 stall garage) that I have my current 3 vehicles in its even heated!... very grateful to have that. My dad has all the necessary tools that I wouldn’t have including a 2 ton press. I’ll do
some research on tranny rebuilding and see if it is something I think I want to do. I just looked up
rebuild kits and see how there is what looks like hundreds of parts and that scares me.

I will definitely let you know what I try and if it works or doesn't work.

Old 01-08-2020, 06:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, lots of little bitty pieces in a trans, and a selection of large ones too. It all comes apart, and goes back together, in order. The directions are long.

Old 01-14-2020, 03:10 PM
Craig Kennedy

Did a little more diagnostics today. All forward gears work including overdrive. Only time it acts up is when it shifts into passing gear during acceleration. Moderate acceleration it will drop a gear and accelerate but when there is a “load” like a slight incline it will do the passing gear downshift and rev high maybe slip? I have to then let off till it grabs a gear and ease into the gas or it will downshift again and rev. This sound like bands? I know I need to get the pan off and check it out but this is an old truck I feel like someone has had to of experienced this and can save me the trouble of wasting the time and money of doing a fluid and filter possible sensor change if it’s not going to do me any good in the long run.

Old 01-14-2020, 06:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I think about the only way to diagnose it would be to check pressures while the problem was presenting itself..... You can test for an electronic problem with the first three gears, but, not O/D or TCC, simply by unplugging the 8 pin connector, and driving it. Keep in mind, you will have zero automatic function, you will have to shift it like a manual. I am not sure if throttle kickdown will occur.... but, it seems like it should..... and immediately go back in 3rd when you let off the gas.

Old 03-04-2020, 01:55 PM
Craig Kennedy

I Just took it to a well know local shop for them to rebuild it. I’ll get a 1 year warranty. They pulled the pan and said there was a bunch of debris in there and the front band was barely hanging on. They said my second gear was basically non existent any kind of load would make it slip. Whole rebuild with them taking it out and putting it back in and modifying the cooling line check valve will set me back $1800-$2500. More then I paid for the whole truck.... oh well I’ll know what I have then and be confident in the trans. If I did it Myself I would be worried about spending all the time and money on parts then screwing something up and just have it go out again. Peace of mind. Looking forward to get it back the end of this week and being able to actually drive it without fear of being stranded if I put my foot into it.

I am pretty sure the used car salesmen that I got the truck off of disconnected the tv cable so it wouldn’t downshift hard into 2nd when taking off and kinda lazily shift through the gears. The guy even knew me and my family and was related to me distantly. I may have words with him if he ever asks me how it’s running. But he won’t bc he knows what he did.

Idk why there are no honest people. I always state everything wrong, little or small with my junk when I’m selling it and put a decent price on it give someone a deal that I would be happy with. Now days people put stupid High prices on their stuff and just tell you they don’t know anything about it even tho they had it for 10 years. oh well...this will be the first and last auto i own.

Thanks for all the help fellas. Keep it under 100mph.

Old 03-04-2020, 03:03 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig Kennedy
I Just took it to a well know local shop for them to rebuild it. I’ll get a 1 year warranty. They pulled the pan and said there was a bunch of debris in there and the front band was barely hanging on. They said my second gear was basically non existent any kind of load would make it slip. Whole rebuild with them taking it out and putting it back in and modifying the cooling line check valve will set me back $1800-$2500. More then I paid for the whole truck.... oh well I’ll know what I have then and be confident in the trans. If I did it Myself I would be worried about spending all the time and money on parts then screwing something up and just have it go out again. Peace of mind. Looking forward to get it back the end of this week and being able to actually drive it without fear of being stranded if I put my foot into it.

I am pretty sure the used car salesmen that I got the truck off of disconnected the tv cable so it wouldn’t downshift hard into 2nd when taking off and kinda lazily shift through the gears. The guy even knew me and my family and was related to me distantly. I may have words with him if he ever asks me how it’s running. But he won’t bc he knows what he did.

Idk why there are no honest people. I always state everything wrong, little or small with my junk when I’m selling it and put a decent price on it give someone a deal that I would be happy with. Now days people put stupid High prices on their stuff and just tell you they don’t know anything about it even tho they had it for 10 years. oh well...this will be the first and last auto i own.

Thanks for all the help fellas. Keep it under 100mph.
Automatics can only last so long. They have brake pad material in them (brake pads go bad to). Don't blame it necessarily on the automatic transmission.

Quick Reply: 1997 Ram 1500 318 4x4 trans. downshifts but won’t upshift.