2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1997 Ram 1500 318 4x4 trans. downshifts but won’t upshift.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 03:13 PM
Craig Kennedy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Manuals can fail also I am aware. everything mechanical will fail it’s just a matter of when and how. I would much rather a manual over an auto. Personal preference.

Old 03-04-2020, 03:17 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig Kennedy
Manuals can fail also I am aware. everything mechanical will fail it’s just a matter of when and how. I would much rather a manual over an auto. Personal preference.
Oh believe me im with you on that. For that price you could swap a NV4500 into the truck.

Old 03-04-2020, 04:24 PM
Craig Kennedy

I did some research about going that route but I have other toys I would rather invest my time into tinkering on then this truck. I Got it as a “cheap” full size truck that I wouldn’t be worried about beating up a little.

Although after I did the body work on the front fenders and cleaned it up a little it looks pretty good so I will probably baby it around like I do all my other vehicles.

With that being said I will always keep my eye out for someone selling one with a manual in it for cheap though. I like to have options.

Last edited by Craig Kennedy; 03-04-2020 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-04-2020, 04:33 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

I did some research about going that route but I have other toys I would rather invest my time into tinkering on then this truck. I Got it as a “cheap” full size truck that I wouldn’t be worried about beating up a little.

Although after I did the body work on the front fenders and cleaned it up a little it looks pretty good so I will probably baby it around like I do all my other vehicles.

With that being said I will always keep my eye out for someone selling one with a manual in it for cheap though. I like to have options.
I bought a complete NV4500 with everything for $200 where I'm at. I beat all my vehicles including my old muscle cars

Old 03-04-2020, 05:06 PM
Craig Kennedy

I never have beat on anything I owed I buy/build it to but don’t. my first vehicle was a 1991 s10 that we swapped a completely rebuilt small block into with a t56 bolted up to it all done in my dads garage other then the machine work. The whole time building it I was thinking how I’m gonna take it to the drag strip and do nasty burn outs to show off for everyone. Then after i got done with it and looked back on how much time me and my dad had into the motor then the body work and paint I had too much respect for it to just thrash on it. I kinda carried that mentality over to all my vehicles. I know how hard I worked for the money I paid for them.

then this truck I redid the whole front end and did some body work on the front fenders. So... I got it cheap thinking I’ll beat it....then I invested time into it and now it looks decent so I’ll try and keep it decent. its kinda frustrating for me..... haha.

if I found one for $200 I would of done the conversion. I was only finding them for $1000 and that was just the nv4500. If I wait around I can find a donor truck for $500 I’m sure of it.

Last edited by Craig Kennedy; 03-04-2020 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-04-2020, 05:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

I never have beat on anything I owed I buy/build it to but don’t. my first vehicle was a 1991 s10 that we swapped a completely rebuilt small block into with a t56 bolted up to it all done in my dads garage other then the machine work. The whole time building it I was thinking how I’m gonna take it to the drag strip and do nasty burn outs to show off for everyone. Then after i got done with it and looked back on how much time me and my dad had into the motor then the body work and paint I had too much respect for it to just thrash on it. I kinda carried that mentality over to all my vehicles. I know how hard I worked for the money I paid for them.

then this truck I redid the whole front end and did some body work on the front fenders. So... I got it cheap thinking I’ll beat it....then I invested time into it and now it looks decent so I’ll try and keep it decent. its kinda frustrating for me..... haha.

if I found one for $200 I would of done the conversion. I was only finding them for $1000 and that was just the nv4500. If I wait around I can find a donor truck for $500 I’m sure of it.
And that right there is the difference between having something given to you, and having to work for it. I never gave my kids a car, simply because I knew it would become the never ending project to keep it running, for ME. When they bought their own, and actually had to PAY to have it worked on, they were a LOT nicer to their vehicles. They also had to learn the hard way that maintenance is cheaper than repairs. I told them. They didn't listen. They paid the price..

Old 03-04-2020, 06:38 PM
Craig Kennedy

Originally Posted by HeyYou
And that right there is the difference between having something given to you, and having to work for it. I never gave my kids a car, simply because I knew it would become the never ending project to keep it running, for ME. When they bought their own, and actually had to PAY to have it worked on, they were a LOT nicer to their vehicles. They also had to learn the hard way that maintenance is cheaper than repairs. I told them. They didn't listen. They paid the price..
My dad told me the summer before I was 16 that he can’t afford to buy me my own vehicle but if I worked all summer and Save my money he would help me fix it up whatever I get. He is a big Chevy guy and put the bug in my ear about a v8 swap in a s10. I really wanted a scout mainly bc my older brother had a 1984 Cj 7 (fixed up by my dad and him when he turned 16) but the scout was out of the picture way too hard to find one around here.

13 years later I still have my s10 and my brother still has his CJ 7. I will do the same my dad did for me for my son when he is 16. he is only 3 months old now so I need to learn how to work on these new fangled things on the roads. Maybe I’ll just give him my s10 if my dad gives me his nova or his c10. Who knows if we will even be allowed to drive our old hoopies on the roads in the future.

Old 03-04-2020, 06:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

My dad told me the summer before I was 16 that he can’t afford to buy me my own vehicle but if I worked all summer and Save my money he would help me fix it up whatever I get. He is a big Chevy guy and put the bug in my ear about a v8 swap in a s10. I really wanted a scout mainly bc my older brother had a 1984 Cj 7 (fixed up by my dad and him when he turned 16) but the scout was out of the picture way too hard to find one around here.

13 years later I still have my s10 and my brother still has his CJ 7. I will do the same my dad did for me for my son when he is 16. he is only 3 months old now so I need to learn how to work on these new fangled things on the roads. Maybe I’ll just give him my s10 if my dad gives me his nova or his c10. Who knows if we will even be allowed to drive our old hoopies on the roads in the future.
Indeed. Fair few places are talking about banning internal combustion powered vehicle some time in the 2030's.... or sooner. Truly an end of an ear......

If new cars continue the current trend, computerizing EVERYTHING..... You will probably need a friggin' engineering degree to work on them by the time your son comes of age. Maybe find him a pre-1973 chevy product for his first vehicle. Easy to work on, parts will probably still be available...... easy to work on.

Old 03-04-2020, 07:12 PM
Craig Kennedy

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Indeed. Fair few places are talking about banning internal combustion powered vehicle some time in the 2030's.... or sooner. Truly an end of an ear......

If new cars continue the current trend, computerizing EVERYTHING..... You will probably need a friggin' engineering degree to work on them by the time your son comes of age. Maybe find him a pre-1973 chevy product for his first vehicle. Easy to work on, parts will probably still be available...... easy to work on.
I read an article a few years back about the 90s and 2000s Honda Civic motors being today’s Chevy small block.... as sick as that sounds they do run for a long time and are fairly easy to work on.

Old 03-04-2020, 07:28 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

I read an article a few years back about the 90s and 2000s Honda Civic motors being today’s Chevy small block.... as sick as that sounds they do run for a long time and are fairly easy to work on.
I did a ground up restoration on a 69 Roadrunner Hemi. First fine down the drag strip smashed it into the wall. Bought a brand new $78K 2020 Power Wagon two weeks ago, it already had scratches in it from offroading. Currently doing a ground up restoration on my 01 Ram 2500 have way more then it's worth in it and didn't even start the body. It will most likely get damaged offroading. I live like it's my last day and I'm only in my 20s

Quick Reply: 1997 Ram 1500 318 4x4 trans. downshifts but won’t upshift.