2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Up grade my dodge ram

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 11:06 PM
Joeb2316
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Up grade my dodge ram

What about putting a extra fuel tank like a 66 gallon tank custom made while pulling my 28' enclosed trailer?? I would be using a 20k slider fifth wheel cause i have those fins on the back of the cab. i would be okay to use the 15k or the 16k fifth wheel but i just wanta be okay in handling the weight and traveling with the truck and trailer.

Old 01-17-2020, 07:05 AM
00t444e
Captain
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb2316
What about putting a extra fuel tank like a 66 gallon tank custom made while pulling my 28' enclosed trailer?? I would be using a 20k slider fifth wheel cause i have those fins on the back of the cab. i would be okay to use the 15k or the 16k fifth wheel but i just wanta be okay in handling the weight and traveling with the truck and trailer.
You didn't mention it's a 5th wheel, that changes things a bit. That 5th wheel trailer loaded properly will have a 1600-2000 lb pin weight, along with over 500 lbs for your 66 gallon fuel tank, plus the weight of you 5th wheel hitch is a lot of weight for a 1/2 ton truck. You may get by with airbags, but like others said above a 2500 would be a better choice, get a diesel if you want to tow that load like it isn't even there.

Old 01-17-2020, 08:14 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by 00t444e
The manufacturers weight rating and the legal weight rating are two different things. Depending on where you live and the situation you can be over the manufacturer weight rating and still be 100% legal. I am guessing a 28 foot trailer with a minivan and motorcycle will weigh around 8-9K, your 360 will pull that, just don't be afraid to let the engine rev, and lock out the overdrive. The most important thing is a larger transmission cooler, depending on how you load the trailer and what kind of hitch you use you may be fine with the factory springs.
Not from everything I am reading. Sure, the type of hitch you use will affect how much you can tow, but, exceeding the manufacturers ratings, or using the wrong hitch for the weight you are pulling, is indeed illegal, and can get you in trouble.

Old 01-17-2020, 12:44 PM
Joeb2316

So i should put a extra leaf in my springs and or change the axles to the dana 60, cause my truck is not that bad in body with a few rust spots like the left cab corner, rocker, the bottom of the door, the passenger side rear bed wheel wells like top middle, and that it for now. The frame is in mint condition with a little service rust.

Old 01-17-2020, 03:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Doesn't matter what you do to your truck, you could put rockwell axles under it, and it wouldn't change the legal aspect of the problem.

Old 01-17-2020, 03:18 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb2316

At about 6.5 pounds per gallon, you're looking at nearly 430 pounds just in extra fuel. I'm beginning to think a 2500 might be at it's limits. You might want to find a SRW 3500 truck. Just the strain of your entire rig will be past the safety limits for most equipment. If your fifth wheel is very tall, you want a dually for stability if nothing else.. Get a dedicated tow rig and keep your current truck for a daily driver. I work in logistics and what you're wanting to do will have every Motor Carrier Enforcement officer in the state lining up to inspect your combined rig. Maybe get one with a flatbed and put some storage boxes under the sides. This will get your weight down low for safety.

Old 01-17-2020, 03:20 PM
00t444e
Captain
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Not from everything I am reading. Sure, the type of hitch you use will affect how much you can tow, but, exceeding the manufacturers ratings, or using the wrong hitch for the weight you are pulling, is indeed illegal, and can get you in trouble.
You legal rating will vary based on state laws, how your vehicle is registered and what your hauling. The manufacturers ratings are mainly just to cover them from warranty and liability issues.

Old 01-17-2020, 03:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
At about 6.5 pounds per gallon, you're looking at nearly 430 pounds just in extra fuel. I'm beginning to think a 2500 might be at it's limits. You might want to find a SRW 3500 truck. Just the strain of your entire rig will be past the safety limits for most equipment. If your fifth wheel is very tall, you want a dually for stability if nothing else.. Get a dedicated tow rig and keep your current truck for a daily driver. I work in logistics and what you're wanting to do will have every Motor Carrier Enforcement officer in the state lining up to inspect your combined rig. Maybe get one with a flatbed and put some storage boxes under the sides. This will get your weight down low for safety.
A one ton truck would certainly handle it, but, there were no SRW 1 ton second gens. They were all duals.

Old 01-17-2020, 05:50 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
A one ton truck would certainly handle it, but, there were no SRW 1 ton second gens. They were all duals.

I was at work when I saw the part about a 5th wheel and checked my cheat sheets. After thinking about it and looking at the information again of what he wants to do, a 3500 or heavier truck is what he wants. Since he'll be better off getting a heavier truck, he can get a newer one. If his trailer when hooked to the truck is more than 10 or 12 feet tall, he NEEDS dual wheels. Cross winds will cause "uncontrolled lane change" on a windy day.

Now, my comment about Motor Carrier Enforcement officers looks like a jest, but it isn't. While they normally fool with commercial carriers exclusively, they can and do check private vehicles too. I dated a woman once who was a "trucker bear" and she mentioned the basic tickets like bald tires are expected. The nit pick tickets are where promotion points get put in your little book. She told be about a truck the a bunch of "pretty lights" outlining the trailer. The inspector found ONE, half way up the side of the truck out. There was a ticket for a burned out clearance light. 5th wheels get more than their share of looks from officers.

Old 01-17-2020, 11:10 PM
Joeb2316

I have called the secretary of state in Michigan and asked them if i could change my axles to a dana 60 and they i could but if i would to change my frame i would have to get a different vin number for my truck in stead of my current one.

Quick Reply: Up grade my dodge ram