2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Up grade my dodge ram

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 11:14 PM
Joeb2316
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Up grade my dodge ram

Plus i want to get a dodge avenger se, a little gas saver so im not driving my truck around alot cause its a gas hog and cost me a lot to keep it full of fuel.

Old 01-18-2020, 07:39 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb2316
Plus i want to get a dodge avenger se, a little gas saver so im not driving my truck around alot cause its a gas hog and cost me a lot to keep it full of fuel.

Between changing the VIN and wanting good fuel economy, it's looking more like you need to get a dedicated tow rig. VIN changes are a nightmare. My suggestion is to keep your truck as is for now. Look around for a heavier truck. With the trailer you've described, I'd look for a dually. Those are often cheaper than SRW trucks. You can get one that's had fleet maintenance and is in good shape. Sakes, you might pick up a Cummins. Look around south of Interstate 64 and you can find some really solid equipment. Once you get everything like you want it, you can then sell your truck, minus some of the doo dads you've added and get an Avenger to suit your taste.

I'm right on the edge of the rust belt. 50 miles north, cars dissolve and 50 miles south the paint just weathers. I see northern trucks around here from time to time and they really get eat up with tin worm. I've got a 20 year old Cadillac Escalade that has one small scratch but no rust after 240,000 miles.

Old 01-18-2020, 07:55 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

In my state (Virginia) You can pretty much purchase a license plate for a higher GVW then the vehicle is rated for........ However, let me tell you a story that happened to a friend of mine.

He has a S-10 truck that he drag races. He was towing it on a open trailer with another S-10. On the way out of a race he had been in, as usual, the state police were set up doing inspections..... Even though his license plate was for 10,001 lbs, they did not care. The door sticker says he is past the GCVW and they fined him.
As hey you said, when it comes to accidents, or even being stopped, you best not to exceed the vehicle GCVW.

Oh, just wanted to add. The reason some purchase the higher GVW license, (including myself) is if the vehicle has a 10,001 license, it is emissions inspection exempt.

Old 01-18-2020, 12:05 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

It's a nasty rainy day and the temperature is about to drop out. I just decided to poke around and see what's available down here. I typed Dodge Ram 3500 in the Craigslist search box and found three trucks from $3000 to $9500. Lot's more for $30,000 or so but you're wanting a tow rig not a daily driver. The $3000 on has a bad engine and transmission. Don't know if it's a gasser or diesel. There's a SRW Cummins for $8500. There's also a 1989 W350 Cummines with 147K for $9500. These are all in Kentucky so tin worm should be minimal.

Quick Reply: Up grade my dodge ram