2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No overdrive! Please help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 10:03 PM
Colton Fort
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No overdrive! Please help!!!!

what's up guys, I have an issue I'm hoping someone can help me with. it's a 2000 ram 1500 5.9l 4x4 with 176k kms my truck wont shift into overdrive after about 5-10 mins of driving.. it shifts through 1-3 perfectly! no banging into gear nothing its smooth as a brand new transmission & goes into 4th for the first 10 mins of driving then when I down shift it wont go back in & revs at 3k without shifting. doesnt even feel like it wants to shift. although sometime after driving for awhile when I shut the truck off for afew minutes it will go into overdrive afew times before it stops working again. overdrive off button works, light comes on and disappears. there is no engine codes nor is there an engine light. it's been -20 to -40 Celsius outside. & I park in the garage. I've got a bib on the truck. things I've tested/ replaced: -vss -tps -governor pressure sensor -governor solenoid -ive cleaned all connections outside of the trans with electrical cleaner -adjusted cables -fixed pull back spring on transmission -transfluid with trans fix added -new trans filters -also when I dropped the pan there wasnt a single shaving of any kind. -level is good in trans nothing seems to be working. next thing I'm going to try is my tcc/od solenoid & trans temp sensor but I really dont want to drop the pan again because atf fluid isnt cheap. so if anyone can give me any tips or anything to try before dropping the pan again that would be greatly appreciated! thanks everyone.

Old 01-14-2020, 07:39 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Temp sensor is part of the pressure sensor, so, you have already changed it.

Gonna have to use a scanner that can read live data, and see what the PCM thinks is going on once it stops shifting. Normally, I would suspect the trans was getting hot.... but, given your local temps, that seems a bit of a stretch. Still and all, wouldn't hurt to check that.

Old 01-14-2020, 10:30 AM
Colton Fort

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Temp sensor is part of the pressure sensor, so, you have already changed it.

Gonna have to use a scanner that can read live data, and see what the PCM thinks is going on once it stops shifting. Normally, I would suspect the trans was getting hot.... but, given your local temps, that seems a bit of a stretch. Still and all, wouldn't hurt to check that.
I actually ended up figuring it out, the trans cooler lines were still ice cold and the trans pan was luke warm after a half hour drive with no overdrive so I ended up buying a big moving blanket from canadian tire & put it in the grill! runs great now shifts through all gears perfectly! just incase anyone els is having the same problem that's how I fixed it

Old 01-14-2020, 06:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Think I might be tempted to see if you are actually getting any flow thru those lines.... as once the engine is warm, the radiator will actually HEAT the trans fluid.... If you have an aux cooler, that would get cooled off right quick though......

Old 01-14-2020, 07:00 PM
Colton Fort

Think I might be tempted to see if you are actually getting any flow thru those lines.... as once the engine is warm, the radiator will actually HEAT the trans fluid.... If you have an aux cooler, that would get cooled off right quick though......
well one line was slightly colder then the other which leads me to assume there is flow but how would I go about confirming my theory?
& the cooler is located behind my ac condenser which would be an aux cooler right?

Old 01-14-2020, 07:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yep. So, rather cold trans temps shouldn't come as a surprise..... still, it should be around 160 degrees or so coming out...... Think I might be tempted to install a thermostatic bypass valve, so until the trans gets up to temp, it bypasses the aux cooler.

Old 01-14-2020, 09:41 PM
Colton Fort

Yep. So, rather cold trans temps shouldn't come as a surprise..... still, it should be around 160 degrees or so coming out...... Think I might be tempted to install a thermostatic bypass valve, so until the trans gets up to temp, it bypasses the aux cooler.
that sounds like a great idea actually, you're a real smart guy! I dont suppose you have any ideas on how I could go about doing that hey? 🤔

Old 01-15-2020, 08:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Get yourself something like
this this
, and plumb it into the trans cooler lines. They come in various temps..... and various prices too...... The really nice 165 degree feller I found was 220 bucks..... Ouch.

Quick Reply: No overdrive! Please help!!!!