2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine identification?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 04:02 PM
Liddlez
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Engine identification?

Hello all,
My mother (original driver) recently told me that my Dodge RAM 2500 “Sport” edition’s engine was replaced with a Dodge Durango engine awhile back because my father had overheated the original engine, I was wondering if there’s any way to know what year, make, or model the engine was? I have attached a picture below for reference, thank you.

Old 01-15-2020, 06:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Look at the side of the block, from underneath. Should be engine size, and a date code cast into it down there somewhere.

Old 01-16-2020, 12:41 AM
Liddlez
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Look at the side of the block, from underneath. Should be engine size, and a date code cast into it down there somewhere.
“underneath” as in by the oil plug, and filter?

Old 01-16-2020, 02:13 AM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Liddlez
“underneath” as in by the oil plug, and filter?
More like side of a block, under the exhaust manifolds.

Old 01-19-2020, 07:42 PM
Liddlez
Veteran

Well, my sister said it right “don’t go looking for things you may not want to find” I found what I was looking for, and it was not what I expected. She has a 5.2L now instead of a 5.9. 😔

Old 01-19-2020, 10:28 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Liddlez
Well, my sister said it right “don’t go looking for things you may not want to find” I found what I was looking for, and it was not what I expected. She has a 5.2L now instead of a 5.9. 😔
Sorry I often wonder buying used if you actually have the right size motor

Old 01-19-2020, 10:56 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

in a given year, a 5.2 (318) or 5.9 (360) would be the same whether it was in a Dakota, a Durango, a Ram Van, or a pickup. And most parts (short of crankshaft, pistons) interchange between the 2 engines. all of the "common parts" you would most likely be dealing with would be the same between those 2 engines.... by your topside pic I can say you have one of the 2 engines listed but can't tell which.... look up underneath, above the starter on the driver side, it will have a 7 digit number followed by either "318" or "360" …. the "318" or "360" will tell you what that particular engine is..... I would not be afraid of either, they were both excellent engines that will get the job done. I have swapped same for same, also 318 for 360, and 360 for 318 over the years, depending largely on "which I could get my hands on 1st" Common parts you'd ,ost likely have to change,/ like filters, tune up parts, belts, hoses, starter, alternator, water pump are identical between the 2 engines.

If you set a 318 and a 360 next to each other on the ground, you would have an extremely tough time telling which was which.
The main difference other than a longer stroke and larger bore (which you wont see from outside) the 360 is external balance/ while the 318 is internal balance. Depending on year, the harmonic balancer is different between the 2, as is either the flexplate or the torque converter within the transmission to make up for the balance. I've probably confused you now. but I think you are panicking over nothing".

Old 01-20-2020, 12:15 AM
Liddlez
Veteran

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Sorry I often wonder buying used if you actually have the right size motor
I second that. Unfortunately at the time I was too young, and could care less about what has now become my dream truck. Thankfully, you can look at the underside of the block to de-code the engine via stamped code.

Old 01-20-2020, 12:17 AM
Liddlez
Veteran

Originally Posted by volaredon
in a given year, a 5.2 (318) or 5.9 (360) would be the same whether it was in a Dakota, a Durango, a Ram Van, or a pickup. And most parts (short of crankshaft, pistons) interchange between the 2 engines. all of the "common parts" you would most likely be dealing with would be the same between those 2 engines.... by your topside pic I can say you have one of the 2 engines listed but can't tell which.... look up underneath, above the starter on the driver side, it will have a 7 digit number followed by either "318" or "360" …. the "318" or "360" will tell you what that particular engine is..... I would not be afraid of either, they were both excellent engines that will get the job done. I have swapped same for same, also 318 for 360, and 360 for 318 over the years, depending largely on "which I could get my hands on 1st" Common parts you'd ,ost likely have to change,/ like filters, tune up parts, belts, hoses, starter, alternator, water pump are identical between the 2 engines.

If you set a 318 and a 360 next to each other on the ground, you would have an extremely tough time telling which was which.
The main difference other than a longer stroke and larger bore (which you wont see from outside) the 360 is external balance/ while the 318 is internal balance. Depending on year, the harmonic balancer is different between the 2, as is either the flexplate or the torque converter within the transmission to make up for the balance. I've probably confused you now. but I think you are panicking over nothing".
You have not confused me, I understood you very well, however I’m an “original freak” and I must have originality all the way, or none at all. It’s an OCD thing. It’ll fade over time, but I still plan to swap this engine with her original specs very soon.

Quick Reply: Engine identification?