2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'01 Ram Blend Door Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 11:05 PM
Shopper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '01 Ram Blend Door Issues

OK, so I've been putting off fixing my lack of heat, lack of AC problem for too long and I tackled it today. Was pretty sure it was a cracked plastic connector from the blend door motor to the blend door (288,000 miles) so I ordered a Heater Treater kit with the metal piece to replace th plastic OEM. It seems like a good kit and way to go.

Got under the dash, pulled back the carpet, cut away some sound deadener, got at the hard to reach rear screw on the actuator and removed it. The plastic wasn't cracked but did show some wear. Replaced it with the new metal connector and am ready to replace the actuator motor tomorrow. Couldn't wait to see if it might help so I moved the blend door by hand and took it for a drive. Didn't see much difference in heat output with the blend door moved either way. Will check again after tomorrow's contortion/install exercises! Here are the heat stats I got today:

Heater hose/heater core inlet temp = 160º
Heater hose/heater core outlet temp = 115º
Upper radiator hose temp = 155º

Heat output from upper dash vents = no more than 75º

I'm kinda ready for a letdown when I reinstall the actuator motor and test drive it tomorrow based on the lack of improvement by manipulating the blend door by hand.

Thanks so much for any insight!

Old 01-19-2020, 08:42 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

I don't think the blend door will still in place without the motor attached.... the breeze likely blows it around. Also, some folks have had the door break away from the axle.... so it doesn't matter where you move it, it simply doesn't move.

I think you also have the wrong thermostat in there. Radiator hose at the thermostat housing should be closer to 195 degrees.

Old 01-20-2020, 07:25 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

+1 on replacing the thermostat

Old 01-20-2020, 09:35 PM
ddtmoto
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A 180 degree stat in mine works well....imo

Old 01-20-2020, 09:56 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by ddtmoto
A 180 degree stat in mine works well....imo
I have a 180 thermostat and here in PA you don't get good heat if it's really cold and you are moving. I think I'm going to buy a winter front

Quick Reply: '01 Ram Blend Door Issues