2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Changed coolant temp temp sensor sender now truck won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 11:36 PM
rrb6699
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changed coolant temp temp sensor sender now truck won't start

I had a coolant hose leak which I fixed and noticed that the sensor on the passenger side on top of the block was corroded. so I removed & replaced it. then I tried to plug in the sensor towards the driver side and it was brittle & broke. without too much effort on it.

I'm going to replace that sensor obviously but, when I tried to start it doesn't fire. just cranks. I replaced the cps last year so I doubt it's that. it seems that sensor towards the driver side of the thermostat housing is causing a no start. what sensor is that and is it needed to start?

also, could the sensor I replaced on the passenger side of the thermostat housing be bad or incompatible and cause the no start?

thx

rr

Old 01-12-2020, 12:18 AM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts

Somewhat guessing here from your description, on a 96 V8 there are two temperature sensors. One near the thermostat housing for the instrument panel. The other one sits between the AC and the alternator bracket and is used by the PCM. If the latter is disconnected it shouldn't cause a no start I *think* but if the two wires are connected or shorted to ground it can affect other sensors like CPS, TPS etc.

Old 01-12-2020, 05:58 PM
rrb6699
Amateur

Originally Posted by DerTruck
Somewhat guessing here from your description, on a 96 V8 there are two temperature sensors. One near the thermostat housing for the instrument panel. The other one sits between the AC and the alternator bracket and is used by the PCM. If the latter is disconnected it shouldn't cause a no start I *think* but if the two wires are connected or shorted to ground it can affect other sensors like CPS, TPS etc.
for some reason the 2-wire sensor is on the driver side of my thermostat housing. all the diagrams I see have it in the passenger side. unless someone else before I owned the vehicle put them in backwards. but, the 2-wire one is broken. just 2 tabs sticking up because the plug broke when I was trying to plug it back in.
rr

Old 01-12-2020, 06:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

That's where mine was on my 5.9 as well. Without the sensor, the truck won't run worth beans, if it even starts at all.

Old 01-12-2020, 06:21 PM
rrb6699
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That's where mine was on my 5.9 as well. Without the sensor, the truck won't run worth beans, if it even starts at all.
I'm going to say it doesn't start. Because the first time I try to start it that acted like it wanted to start on the first turn of the key but then it went into cranking with no fire mode.
I'm having a problem when I came out this morning trans fluid was leaking from the transmission pan coolant is leaking from somewhere but not the water pump and oil is leaking on the oil filter so I don't know what's wrong with it right now but I hope it's not a head gasket.
RR

Old 01-15-2020, 02:25 PM
rrb6699
Amateur
Default update

well. still no Start After replacing both temp sensor. The crankshaft position sensor is fairly new just over a year old, but, the last time it wouldn't start the wires were chewed by some mice and symptoms are almost identical if not identical to what's happening now. I'm going to pull the CPS and see if it's physically got a problem.
Update I pulled the CPS and it appears to be okay but since it's such a pain I'm going to replace it anyway. I noticed the boot around the CPS was totally deteriorated. what is that called? CPS boot?
Keep in mind I did get an overheated condition from a hose that leaked while my temperature sensor wasn't operational so I may have driven 15 miles with very low coolant. Anything else anyone thinks I should check please let me know. The vehicle seem to drive okay when I shut it off but, it never started again after that.
RR

Old 01-15-2020, 06:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Get a genuine mopar sensor. The aftermarket fellers don't always work as well as you would like.

Need to find out what's missing, Getting spark? Got fuel pressure? Injector pulse??

Old 01-16-2020, 07:27 AM
rrb6699
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Get a genuine mopar sensor. The aftermarket fellers don't always work as well as you would like.

Need to find out what's missing, Getting spark? Got fuel pressure? Injector pulse??
fuel pressure good from Schrader valve. tried starter fluid but no spark. so no spark condition. fuel delivery OK.

thinking MAP and Crank Pos Sensor. easy to replace and I have several vehicles that I can pull the MAP sensor from to test that. going to replace CPS because when I first got the truck, mice chewed the wires to it and symptoms were the same. the crank but no spark no start.

checked plug wires for obvious. replaced both temp senders near thermostat housing (one was corroded & one broke when I tried to plug it back in. so, had to replace those.

rr

Old 01-17-2020, 07:30 PM
rrb6699
Amateur

just recv the crank position sensor today, but, there was no boot inside th box. do you need to have one and do they sell those separately? e
is it called, "crankshaft position sensor boot", if I need to get one even?

Old 01-17-2020, 08:51 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by rrb6699
just recv the crank position sensor today, but, there was no boot inside th box. do you need to have one and do they sell those separately? e
is it called, "crankshaft position sensor boot", if I need to get one even?
Not really needed

The following users liked this post:
rrb6699 (01-17-2020)

Quick Reply: Changed coolant temp temp sensor sender now truck won't start