2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

easiest way to remove transfer case?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 08:32 PM
Isoldmysaturn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default easiest way to remove transfer case?

Hi, I have a 1995 ram 2500 5.9/nv4500/np241, and I'm pretty sure the transfer case is bad. since it's the only drive line component I suspect is bad and it's also seemingly the only component I'm equipped to rebuild and/or replace, I'm going to remove it, disassemble it, and see if there's an obvious problem inside. I understand how to get it out, and I have the skid plate and rear driveshaft off already. The front driveshaft unbolts, I just need to figure out the best/easiest way to get the clearance to remove the 6? bolts that hold the transfer case to the transmission. will pulling the mount out (looks easier) suffice? or do I have to remove the whole cross member (looks like a pain)?

Old 02-10-2020, 09:20 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Isoldmysaturn
Hi, I have a 1995 ram 2500 5.9/nv4500/np241, and I'm pretty sure the transfer case is bad. since it's the only drive line component I suspect is bad and it's also seemingly the only component I'm equipped to rebuild and/or replace, I'm going to remove it, disassemble it, and see if there's an obvious problem inside. I understand how to get it out, and I have the skid plate and rear driveshaft off already. The front driveshaft unbolts, I just need to figure out the best/easiest way to get the clearance to remove the 6? bolts that hold the transfer case to the transmission. will pulling the mount out (looks easier) suffice? or do I have to remove the whole cross member (looks like a pain)?
For me I pulled nothing. Some get away with just the mount, others have to pull the crossmember (which is a major pain) .

Old 02-10-2020, 09:23 PM
Isoldmysaturn

how did you get to the top bolts?

Old 02-10-2020, 09:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Trick for the cross member is, knock it UP to get it out. Then pull it back out of the way.

Old 02-11-2020, 12:26 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

how did you get to the top bolts?
My father had this offset wrench that is a little bigger then a stubby. I could only turn it maybe 1/16 a time but it worked! I hate pulling the crossmember. I hate it so much I would rather pull the transfer case and pull the tranny out with the motor

Old 02-11-2020, 01:44 PM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

I didn't pull the crossmember either. Just a little patience with the top bolts and you get them off. Much nicer to work under the truck when the trans is supported with the crossmember than jack.

But if you really want to pull the crossmember, just place the bottle jack sideways between the framerails along with piece of 2x4, and push the rails apart slightly, crossmember drops down in no time. Or you can use the hi-lift/farmjack.

Old 02-14-2020, 01:26 PM
Isoldmysaturn

So.. My kid got super sick the day I was working on this, and then it got bitter cold, but a progress update. I've gotten half the transfer case nuts out, waay easier than I thought it would be, but. The front driveshaft is stuck to the transfer case flange, not sure how that's going to make removing the nuts on that side. The shifter linkage, should I continue trying to pry it out of the rubber grommet, or is it not that critical to realign the rod that you can just unbolt? thank you all.

Old 02-15-2020, 08:26 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

I think there are four bolts on the flange for the front shaft. Once they are all out, just tap the shaft with a hammer a few times, and it will drop out. (tap at the u-joints closest to the flange, don't wanna bend anything. )

The rubber of those grommets has likely turned to concrete by now. They been in there for a while...... See if you can find new ones, as it will likely trash the old one coming out. If you can just unbolt it somewhere, mark the relative positions of things, so you can put it back together in pretty much the same place.

Old 02-15-2020, 11:08 AM
Isoldmysaturn

Yeah... so... I have tried sticking various tools in and pounding on the u joint, gave up on that, then got a flat screwdriver and put it on the edge of the flange and pounded as hard as I could while under the truck, and it seemingly will not come off? There were only 4 bolts in, and they're all out now, but it will not budge

Old 02-15-2020, 11:12 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Yeah... so... I have tried sticking various tools in and pounding on the u joint, gave up on that, then got a flat screwdriver and put it on the edge of the flange and pounded as hard as I could while under the truck, and it seemingly will not come off? There were only 4 bolts in, and they're all out now, but it will not budge
Just rusted trust me lol. I took a brass punch and I went to the flange. After a few good (if you don't think it's in the verge of breaking, you aren't hitting hard enough) hits it came off

Quick Reply: easiest way to remove transfer case?