2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Why does this keep leaking?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 10:48 AM
Joeyarsenault92
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still leaking it never fixed itself from leaking from what I figured out the truck tail cone does not have a bushing inside can anyone confirm that? The jeeps that came with the 231 has a bushing but not the trucks

Old 03-29-2020, 01:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Seems like there should be one in there.......

I come up with this one..... but, it seems there are a variety of available sizes, just depends on what it went into.

Old 03-30-2020, 04:56 PM
Joeyarsenault92
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Seems like there should be one in there.......

I come up with this one..... but, it seems there are a variety of available sizes, just depends on what it went into.

I cannot find anywheres that says they're is a bushing and not one website that lists one! I'm just trying to find out for sure before I go and buy a 3rd seal to try, very frustrating I loose the majority of oil in one drive!

Old 03-31-2020, 02:02 AM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

There has to be a bushing, because the splines have enough play that they won't center the yoke. There are ton of different bushings, you'll need to measure od of the yoke and id of the housing, and go from there. And don't get stuck on Dodge 231, because GM also uses NP/NV cases, and there are same parts between 208/231/241 etc.

This should fit: https://torqueking.com/product/10130...-gm-and-dodge/

Last edited by HeikIlm; 03-31-2020 at 02:08 AM.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:09 AM
Joeyarsenault92
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeikIlm
There has to be a bushing, because the splines have enough play that they won't center the yoke. There are ton of different bushings, you'll need to measure od of the yoke and id of the housing, and go from there. And don't get stuck on Dodge 231, because GM also uses NP/NV cases, and there are same parts between 208/231/241 etc.

This should fit: https://torqueking.com/product/10130...-gm-and-dodge/
thanks I'll pull off the driveshaft this weekend and take some pics!

Old 04-11-2020, 02:05 PM
redbear247
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NP231 D Tailshaft bushing

My 231 d does have a bushing in the tailshaft. It's not brass that I can tell. It is very similar to what you find in an automatic transmission pump and support housings and the like. It has grooves in it like what you see on a toilet paper roll, interestingly enough. It definitely is number 33 in the drawing. I will try to get a picture.

Last edited by redbear247; 04-11-2020 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Correct typos and add attatchment
Old 04-11-2020, 04:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Is the spring popped out of the seal lip in that pic?

Old 04-11-2020, 04:48 PM
redbear247
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya know? I was curious about that. Not sure if its popped out or the rubber is eaten away or what. I am going to replace it anyway. If I can ever find the parts. "Rebuild your 231 d" they said. "It will be fun" they said. "Its just like the ones in the Jeeps" they said. Those damn voices in my head are not usually that wrong. I mean, it is very similar but I am a stickler and the sealing surfaces and stuff are scarred and stuff so I'm thinking it's not going to seal anyway. That front output flange yoke is fun. That's never going to seal in a thousand years. I found similar things but not exactly the same so I am going to just replace the bearings and the seals and the chain if I can find one....everything else looks great until I can find everything, reverse engineer everything or convert it. I bought another used flange yoke off eBay and I will do some R&D and see what I can come up with. Anyway, I just so happened to have that tail shaft laying there so I figured I'd try to help out. I can say that this one wasn't leaking at least. Maybe I damaged it when I pulled it out of the truck?

Old 04-12-2020, 12:18 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by redbear247
Ya know? I was curious about that. Not sure if its popped out or the rubber is eaten away or what. I am going to replace it anyway. If I can ever find the parts. "Rebuild your 231 d" they said. "It will be fun" they said. "Its just like the ones in the Jeeps" they said. Those damn voices in my head are not usually that wrong. I mean, it is very similar but I am a stickler and the sealing surfaces and stuff are scarred and stuff so I'm thinking it's not going to seal anyway. That front output flange yoke is fun. That's never going to seal in a thousand years. I found similar things but not exactly the same so I am going to just replace the bearings and the seals and the chain if I can find one....everything else looks great until I can find everything, reverse engineer everything or convert it. I bought another used flange yoke off eBay and I will do some R&D and see what I can come up with. Anyway, I just so happened to have that tail shaft laying there so I figured I'd try to help out. I can say that this one wasn't leaking at least. Maybe I damaged it when I pulled it out of the truck?
You can but just the rear case on Rockauto

Quick Reply: Why does this keep leaking?