2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Why does this keep leaking?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 02:33 PM
Joeyarsenault92
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why does this keep leaking?

I recently noticed the seal on the rear output shaft on the transfer case was leaking on my truck the truck is a 2001 1500 with a 5 speed and the transfer case is a np231d so I went and got a new seal and I put it in and I went for a drive to town and within 20 km it was leaking again! Its leaking where the shaft goes in the seal not where it touches the transfer case, the part of the shaft that goes into the seal seemed to be nice and smooth and the seal came with some kind of black grease or something on the inside seal I added a little bit of white grease to the inside seal because the black stuff was lacking in some spots, I also put a bit of white grease on the outside seal and I used the right ATF+4 fluid I could only get about a quart and a half into the transfer case, first picture is after new seal started leaking second picture is after I installed the new seal on the transfer case, any help is appreciated thanks!

Old 02-15-2020, 03:30 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeyarsenault92
I recently noticed the seal on the rear output shaft on the transfer case was leaking on my truck the truck is a 2001 1500 with a 5 speed and the transfer case is a np231d so I went and got a new seal and I put it in and I went for a drive to town and within 20 km it was leaking again! Its leaking where the shaft goes in the seal not where it touches the transfer case, the part of the shaft that goes into the seal seemed to be nice and smooth and the seal came with some kind of black grease or something on the inside seal I added a little bit of white grease to the inside seal because the black stuff was lacking in some spots, I also put a bit of white grease on the outside seal and I used the right ATF+4 fluid I could only get about a quart and a half into the transfer case, first picture is after new seal started leaking second picture is after I installed the new seal on the transfer case, any help is appreciated thanks!

Only two things can happen. A groove on the slip yolk or a bad seal

Old 02-15-2020, 03:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Or not enough lubrication on the seal.... Drown that feller.

How is the bushing in the tailshaft? Sloppy at all there?

Old 02-15-2020, 04:16 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Never mind that. Mine's leaked since new and its been replaced a couple times. I gave up a decades ago. Every seal that leaks will leak forever even after being replaced.

Old 02-15-2020, 05:48 PM
Joeyarsenault92
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Or not enough lubrication on the seal.... Drown that feller.

How is the bushing in the tailshaft? Sloppy at all there?
shouldn't the ATF fluid lubricate the seal? And do you mean how does the seal fit into the tail shaft? It seemed to go in nice and tight all the way no issues putting it on

Old 02-15-2020, 05:51 PM
Joeyarsenault92
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Never mind that. Mine's leaked since new and its been replaced a couple times. I gave up a decades ago. Every seal that leaks will leak forever even after being replaced.
I'm worries of running the transfer case dry with fluid and screw something up when I'm in 4x4 because of some bearings and whatnot not getting enough oil?

Old 02-16-2020, 12:41 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

It would have to leak for a hundred years. I swap the t-case ATF every couple years and it's never been low. Same thing with rear and front mains. Check and replace oil, right?

Old 02-16-2020, 08:06 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

There is a bushing in the end of the tailshaft, if it wears, the part of the driveshaft that sticks in there can wobble around, and the seal leaks.

Old 02-16-2020, 08:15 AM
Joeyarsenault92
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ramman18
It would have to leak for a hundred years. I swap the t-case ATF every couple years and it's never been low. Same thing with rear and front mains. Check and replace oil, right?
When I drained the fluid before changing the new seal there wasent even a half cup of fluid that came out the drain hole, and I had changed the fluid 2 weeks ago, look in the picture above the t-case the bottom of the truck is full of oil from just a 20km drive

Old 02-16-2020, 08:16 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

At least it won't rust......

Shake the driveshaft where it plugs into the t-case. Is there slop there?

Quick Reply: Why does this keep leaking?