2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1995 1500 tranny cooler lines overdrive issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2020, 07:23 AM
joescoaching
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great info! I appreciate the reply.
Plugs, wires, cap, timing chain/gears and cover...all new. The injectors and intake manifold are original. I've been wondering if it could have something to do with clogged/weak injectors and/or leaky plenum as we all know can be a common issue on these Magnums. My next big investment into this truck was going to be the Hughes Engines intake manifold and new, better injectors...but if the tranny is trying to die, then I guess my money is going to that! Always something

Old 03-01-2020, 03:54 PM
joescoaching
Amateur

Turns out the plenum is leaking. There's a decent amount of oil when looking down through the TB. I'm pretty sure this is what's causing the issues in OD while under a light load. Do any of you know if the Hughes airgap FI intake will work on my '95? The intake is listed as being intended for '96 and newer. I assume it's just some vacuum hose mods that'll have to be done, but before dropping that kind of coin on an intake, I wanted to check with the experts first and get your thoughts.

Old 03-01-2020, 09:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Air Gap doesn't have provisions for EGR, which may upset your PCM. It will also move your power band up a good distance.... meaning, you will lose low-end torque. Without supporting mods, the air-gap really isn't a good solution.

Old 03-01-2020, 09:54 PM
joescoaching
Amateur

Ah, ok. Good to hear. All I have is K&N and I assume the most noticeable mod to pair with the air-gap would be a cam, yeah?
I'd like to get around the faulty plenum plate with a one pice like the air-gap, but if it'll cause more problems than it'll cure, I guess I'll just stick with stock.

Old 03-01-2020, 09:58 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by joescoaching
Turns out the plenum is leaking. There's a decent amount of oil when looking down through the TB. I'm pretty sure this is what's causing the issues in OD while under a light load. Do any of you know if the Hughes airgap FI intake will work on my '95? The intake is listed as being intended for '96 and newer. I assume it's just some vacuum hose mods that'll have to be done, but before dropping that kind of coin on an intake, I wanted to check with the experts first and get your thoughts.
It's probably because of the EGR call them and ask though

Old 03-02-2020, 10:30 AM
joescoaching
Amateur

Yup, that's the issue they said. They suggested just to simply block off the EGR and carry on. However, my particular truck is a Cali coded ECU and the EGR evidently has a much bigger roll in talking to the ECU. Had a shop replace the header a while back and they put on headers without the EGR hookup because they thought they could just block it off, but it opened up a world of havoc and they ended up frying the ECU.
If I were to ever want to make mods to this truck and put this intake on, what are the chances of putting on a regular federal coded ECU and blocking off the EGR?? Think it'll re-learn the absence of the EGR? This truck is one challenging vehicle!

Old 03-02-2020, 10:50 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

What year is your truck?

Cali emissions truck is going to have more O2 sensors, and likely other minor differences, it might work, but, even the federal PCM is going to be upset about things it expects to happen, not happening when it triggers EGR. That one is really luck of the draw. Some folks have been able to bypass it, and never set a code. Others, it figures it out almost instantly...... (and everything in between.)

Old 03-02-2020, 11:00 AM
joescoaching
Amateur

That's what's so weird about this truck, it has one o2 sensor and I've been told it should be a federal emissioned truck, but the ecu is a 56028473 which I'm told is a cali coded ecu and of course they are discontinued. I had to find my current one from a junkyard up north to replace the factory one the shop ruined. I inherited this truck from my grandfather who lived in Oregon and he got the truck from a neighbor who bought it new. So it's from the west coast originally.

Old 03-02-2020, 11:19 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Searching on the part number, it comes up as Federal Emissions......

Old 03-02-2020, 11:44 AM
joescoaching
Amateur

Weird. Whenever I give my VIN to a dealer to look anything up they tell me it's a Cali emission-ed truck. I guess this particular VIC got caught in between.
Also, just got off the phone with Hughes. They state that they have customers block the EGR on '95's to make the air-gap work and they claim to have no issues.

Quick Reply: 1995 1500 tranny cooler lines overdrive issue