2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.2l valve tick

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2020, 04:52 AM
Laurens Moja
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5.2l valve tick

Whatsup guys

Yesterday day i ripped my timingcover off to replace my timingchain. I made sure to not move any of the cam/crankshaft once the dots where aligned perfectly. Now since my timing chain has been replaced, i end up with a ticking valve. Just seems to be 1 valve only.

Could it have been possible i had a bad valve? But due to the slack in my old chain i never noticed? Or must something have moved during the replacement ?

I'll be looking to tear it apart again this afternoon.. And hopefully it just moved 1 teeth.

What's your guys thoughts?

Last edited by Laurens Moja; 03-01-2020 at 05:03 AM.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:29 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Laurens Moja
Whatsup guys

Yesterday day i ripped my timingcover off to replace my timingchain. I made sure to not move any of the cam/crankshaft once the dots where aligned perfectly. Now since my timing chain has been replaced, i end up with a ticking valve. Just seems to be 1 valve only.

Could it have been possible i had a bad valve? But due to the slack in my old chain i never noticed? Or must something have moved during the replacement ?

I'll be looking to tear it apart again this afternoon.. And hopefully it just moved 1 teeth.

What's your guys thoughts?
Valve tick usually means the engine is starving for oil, but since you only have one making noise, I don't that's the case. You sure it's a valve tick?

Old 03-01-2020, 06:45 AM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Which side of the engine? I have same engine on my Jeep, and one time when I started it after it had been sitting quite a few months, I heard really loud ticking sound. Great, like it already got ton of work to do, now there's something wrong with the engine, I thought. Closer inspection revealed that it was the PCV valve clicking.

Old 03-01-2020, 10:03 AM
Laurens Moja
Professional

Can't really seem to place where the sound comes from.
just finished tearing it apart again and check the alignment. The cam and crankshaft are aligned with the dots dots as they should.

Doubt it's the pcv valve, without the oilcap it's still there...
​​​​​

Old 03-01-2020, 11:13 AM
Laurens Moja
Professional

So my friend asumes it's a sticking lifter.. as it's only 1 tick you hear , if it had been the valves due to wrong timing he said i'd have ticks all the time.. it's like every 1 second 1 tick...
I'm assembling the engine with my mate right now and i'll let it run hot , see if it changes...

Should i be worried about destroying something?

Old 03-01-2020, 01:31 PM
Laurens Moja
Professional

Filled all the liquids back , started the engine and the tick was there, i've let it run for 10mins and reved it a few times. The tick went away for now! Hope on the next cold start it stays away!

Only noticed some noice from the oilpan, i took af the rear bearing cap and replease the crankshaft seal to the tranny. For that my oilpump had to came off.. i've positioned the pickup tube correctly, but think i gave it a knock putting the oilpan back up... So it's basicly ticking the piston rodcaps ( i believe)... I'll have to drive it tomorrow to work and in the afternoon check for the reason

A new crankshaft seal on the tranny side probably doesn't make noise?

Old 03-02-2020, 01:06 AM
Laurens Moja
Professional

Or could the noise in the oilpan come due to heavy tighten the harmonic balancer bolt?! I torqued it down and give it a few pulls extra..

The tick stayed away on the next cold start btw

Old 03-02-2020, 04:35 AM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Seal does not make the noise, neither does the balancer. Might actually be the pick-up tube. And maybe, it's the same tick you heard from above the engine. Tube took some beating and got quieter, but can still be heard from under the vehicle.

Old 03-02-2020, 07:57 AM
Laurens Moja
Professional

Hmmm maybe my pickuptube has been beaten and there's a hole in it, that way my oilpump runs dry and makes the sound.. still got pressure though... I'll take the oilpan off tomorrow , hoped for today but no time..

Quick Reply: 5.2l valve tick