2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

More confused

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 02:01 PM
JD Jenkins
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default More confused

Ok so I replaced the solenoids and out put sensor filter and fluid in my 02 dodge 1500 and now my transmission is worse it wont shift out of first. Any suggestions

Old 03-09-2020, 03:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

What engine/trans?

Old 03-10-2020, 08:26 AM
JD Jenkins

46e trans 5.9l
transmission fluid is leaking into engine I didn't even know it was possible can you help?

Last edited by JD Jenkins; 03-10-2020 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Found problem need help
Old 03-10-2020, 08:33 AM
AlleyCrawler
Rookie
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Test and see if column shift works or if nothing shifts at all.

Then go to the drivers side and on top of the transmission maybe 1/2 way down there's a plug that plugs vertically down into the transmission. Idk how many pins I just did it by feel. Unplug that and then try to drive it with column shift (1-2-D).

You'll get a transmission temperature warning on the dash and you will get 0 automatic function (starting in D will be third gear). But I was told that if shifting by column works with that mode it meant that something was wrong with the solenoid and pressure sensor.
​​

Last edited by AlleyCrawler; 03-10-2020 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-10-2020, 01:43 PM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by JD Jenkins
transmission fluid is leaking into engine I didn't even know it was possible can you help?
How it's leaking into engine, and where to? If there's ATF in the radiator, then it's the transmission oil cooler inside of the radiator which is leaking. Other than that, there really isn't a way for ATF to get to the engine.

The following users liked this post:
JD Jenkins (03-10-2020)
Old 03-10-2020, 05:27 PM
JD Jenkins

Man do I feel like an idiot I looked at the engine oil while truck was running. I know the plug your talking I will get some contact cleaner tomorrow. I don't know much about transmissions and my comprehension isn't what it used to be I'm a disabled vet with severe ptsd. Please bear with me. There is an overdrive sensor i have that came with the kit I bought I was told that was the problem. Do u think this is true? Cause I don't want to take it all apart again if there's no chance it will work. Ty for your help and understanding.

Old 03-10-2020, 05:35 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Man do I feel like an idiot I looked at the engine oil while truck was running. I know the plug your talking I will get some contact cleaner tomorrow. I don't know much about transmissions and my comprehension isn't what it used to be I'm a disabled vet with severe ptsd. Please bear with me. There is an overdrive sensor i have that came with the kit I bought I was told that was the problem. Do u think this is true? Cause I don't want to take it all apart again if there's no chance it will work. Ty for your help and understanding.
That sensor would just cause no overdrive

Old 03-12-2020, 02:59 AM
JD Jenkins

That's what I thought about the overdrive sensor. I just drained the fluid again it was dark, first time I drained it it was black I cleaned that plug and no change. Other then the over drive lock out sensor I've changed everything I can I'm completely lost. The transmission was working before I did all this now It wont shift out of first makes no sense. Oh and I put a computer on it showing no codes other then #6 cylinder missing. My benefits from the Gov don't allow for me to put it in a shop I'm a single dad.and need my truck I'll try anything you might think would work ty again. Sometimes it take me awhile to respond because my memory doesn't work so good and I forget you've been trying to help me. Also I reread all your messages I forgot about unplugging that one and testing it manually. I'm gonna try tomorrow after my service dog training class I let u know what happens ty again

Old 03-12-2020, 10:58 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

That's what I thought about the overdrive sensor. I just drained the fluid again it was dark, first time I drained it it was black I cleaned that plug and no change. Other then the over drive lock out sensor I've changed everything I can I'm completely lost. The transmission was working before I did all this now It wont shift out of first makes no sense. Oh and I put a computer on it showing no codes other then #6 cylinder missing. My benefits from the Gov don't allow for me to put it in a shop I'm a single dad.and need my truck I'll try anything you might think would work ty again. Sometimes it take me awhile to respond because my memory doesn't work so good and I forget you've been trying to help me. Also I reread all your messages I forgot about unplugging that one and testing it manually. I'm gonna try tomorrow after my service dog training class I let u know what happens ty again
Do the unplug test and report back

Old 03-13-2020, 08:51 PM
JD Jenkins

Well I finally figured it out I drained all the oil and checked my connections on the solenoids. When taking off the bracket to the governor the governor just fell out I didn't have it seeded in the right grove or the fluid was just to dark either way ty for your help this forum is the bomb or whatever kids say these days

The following users liked this post:
MoparFanatic21 (03-13-2020)

Quick Reply: More confused