2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Where does the Fuse box ground?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2020, 09:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

On mine, the alternator ground is right up on top of the alternator, and part of the harness that goes to the field windings and such. As I recall, the feed wire back to the battery was black... Not red, as one would expect. I would trace that wire back to where it came from, and verify just what it is.

Old 03-12-2020, 09:27 PM
GrayHat
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know, I just went out there and accidently touched it to the negative terminal and sparks flew. So I am guess that it is a supply?

Where does it connect? I know that it was not connected to the positive pole.

Old 03-12-2020, 09:30 PM
GrayHat
Amateur

The black terminal you see in the picture on the fuse box is the end of the wire, it is three feet long.

Old 03-12-2020, 10:16 PM
GrayHat
Amateur

Okay so I thought about a different approach... In the picture I have labeled the five connections. 3 & 4 are presumably stator and field, conneciton 5 is presumably battery +, 1 & 2, one is a ground, the other the possible connection to the feeder wire. Anyone with a similar layout about to look?

The possible feeder wire hooks only up to the alternator fuse in the fuse box, it connects or splits nowhere else.

Old 03-12-2020, 11:41 PM
GrayHat
Amateur
Default All positive

I was thinking and did a quick test and found something curious. As I was looking at this diagram I realized that the feeder wire, as earlier stated, is an extra wire. The five connection has continuity with the positive pole of the battery some how. But then I thought to check them all for continuity. Connections Feeder, five, one, and two are all positive pole connected. Not only does it defy the diagram below, but puts me in a pickle.

Are connections 1 & 2 supposed to be like the diagram or wired to the positive poles?

Old 03-12-2020, 11:54 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by GrayHat
I was thinking and did a quick test and found something curious. As I was looking at this diagram I realized that the feeder wire, as earlier stated, is an extra wire. The five connection has continuity with the positive pole of the battery some how. But then I thought to check them all for continuity. Connections Feeder, five, one, and two are all positive pole connected. Not only does it defy the diagram below, but puts me in a pickle.

Are connections 1 & 2 supposed to be like the diagram or wired to the positive poles?

I don't understand the question. I have a setup like yours that I can try and help you. That spark may have taken out three voltage regulator. You already verified its not charging.

Last edited by MoparFanatic21; 03-13-2020 at 12:01 AM.
Old 03-13-2020, 12:03 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Here is all the information from the FSM (Factory Service Manual) it may help you.

Old 03-13-2020, 07:03 AM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts

First off, fuse box does not have a ground. At least, not that big of a cable. There are few relays that need a ground, but it is suplied with smaller wire.

As you can see, that black cable at the fuse box is connected to a battery positive via that fuse between them. You can use multimeter to verify that your extra cable has continuity to positive battery post (make sure that the fuse has not blown). Also, that cable should go to the B+. Question is, what you have connected to a B+? Because that terminal does not look factory.

Connections 1 and 2 are correct on your picture, and there is ground just like the picture from the FSM states. You can't connect positive cable to the alternator housing.

Last edited by HeikIlm; 03-13-2020 at 07:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Where does the Fuse box ground?