2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2nd Gen (98) electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2020, 02:50 AM
baiselmareo6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd Gen (98) electrical problems

I have a 98 5.9L SS/T. I’m only 16 and not extremely educated on automotive issues and I need help. So far, just about every source of lighting (both in/exterior) has had issues. As of right now, my rear right blinker (I’ve swapped in 3 bulbs) and brake lights are messed up and my cluster lighting doesn’t come on at all. My father and brother both are car and truck enthusiasts (specifically MOPAR) and they can’t figure it out either. Any help is much appreciated. And please keep in mind that I’m not very educated on this stuff so I might be asking stupid questionshttps://9apps.ooo/

Last edited by baiselmareo6; 12-01-2021 at 07:00 AM.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:12 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

No such thing as a stupid question.

You can download the service manual for your truck from here. Wiring diagrams are in section 8w. They can be fun to figure out, if you have no experience, but, dig thru it, and try and understand how things are supposed to work..... Common problem areas are the headlight switch itself, the multifunction switch, and if you have tilt steering, the connectors for the MF switch. Putting the wheel all the way up tends to stretch the wires, and can pull the connectors right off the switches.

Old 03-24-2020, 08:06 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Start simple bud. Get a test light (one that can test ground and power wires). See if you are getting ground and power to the affected tail lights. Does your truck have a pull **** headlight switch?

Quick Reply: 2nd Gen (98) electrical problems