2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No spark after fuel Rail/Throttle removal...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 01:19 PM
2Quick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No spark after fuel Rail/Throttle removal...

Hi guys, New member here and I need some help. I got my kid a 2000 Ram 1500 with the 5.9 gas motor that was sitting at my buddies house parked for over 7 years. I recently got it running again, New starter, Fuel pump, Alternator and Belt and it started right up and ran great. moved from the driveway into the garage and noticed fuel pouring from the cross over hose on the fuel rail. So I pulled the rail, injectors and throttle body to clean and inspect. I cleaned the injectors, installed new o-rings, bead blasted the throttle body and rails, then powder coated them so they wouldn't rust again (not the throttle body just te rails). I replaced the leaking hose and carefully reinstalled everything, went to start the truck and nothing. Checked for spark at the coil with a spark tester and nothing. Checked for 12v at the coil and I get 12v for a moment when key is cycled but nothing while cranking. I would suspect the crank sensor but the truck ram perfect before I pulled the rails and now nothing. It's not like it was running then died. I shut it off and it never started again. I've checked all the connections around the injectors and manifold multiple times and everything looks good. What am I missing here, I don't want to just replace the crank sensor if its not the problem as you all know it can be a big job. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-28-2020, 01:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Check the wiring for the crank sensor. It is indeed what tells the PCM the engine is turning. Though it seems the cam sensor will as well. Verify you are getting reference voltage to both cam and crank sensors. Yeah, it's gonna be fun, the connectors are a drag to get to....

Old 03-28-2020, 01:23 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Quick
Hi guys, New member here and I need some help. I got my kid a 2000 Ram 1500 with the 5.9 gas motor that was sitting at my buddies house parked for over 7 years. I recently got it running again, New starter, Fuel pump, Alternator and Belt and it started right up and ran great. moved from the driveway into the garage and noticed fuel pouring from the cross over hose on the fuel rail. So I pulled the rail, injectors and throttle body to clean and inspect. I cleaned the injectors, installed new o-rings, bead blasted the throttle body and rails, then powder coated them so they wouldn't rust again (not the throttle body just te rails). I replaced the leaking hose and carefully reinstalled everything, went to start the truck and nothing. Checked for spark at the coil with a spark tester and nothing. Checked for 12v at the coil and I get 12v for a moment when key is cycled but nothing while cranking. I would suspect the crank sensor but the truck ram perfect before I pulled the rails and now nothing. It's not like it was running then died. I shut it off and it never started again. I've checked all the connections around the injectors and manifold multiple times and everything looks good. What am I missing here, I don't want to just replace the crank sensor if its not the problem as you all know it can be a big job. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Check the wires going to crank sensor. Could have pinched them, or they could have been so old that you moved them and they fell apart

Old 03-28-2020, 02:35 PM
2Quick

I did check the connections and wires and they look to be in good shape. (Soft and Pliable) I really didn’t touch any thing back that far, that’s why I’m so confused.

Old 03-28-2020, 02:54 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

I did check the connections and wires and they look to be in good shape. (Soft and Pliable) I really didn’t touch any thing back that far, that’s why I’m so confused.
Download the service manual from the FAQ section. Check the wires and see if you are getting everything at the plug, if you are then it has to be the crank sensor.

Old 03-28-2020, 07:15 PM
2Quick

I’ll try that thanks

Old 03-28-2020, 07:51 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

I’ll try that thanks
If wires look ok and you know you connected everything back up, then I would lean towards the senthe. If you buy the sensor only get a Mopar unit. Here is the diagram

Last edited by MoparFanatic21; 03-28-2020 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:39 AM
2Quick

Thanks for the wiring diagram Moparfanatic. I checked the voltage at the crank sensor and had 5v and ground where needed. I replaced the crank sensor and it runs now. I can’t believe the crank sensor went bad at the exact same time I was working on the fuel rail (Murphy's law I guess) anyway thanks for everyone’s help. The project continues.

Old 03-31-2020, 10:21 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Thanks for the wiring diagram Moparfanatic. I checked the voltage at the crank sensor and had 5v and ground where needed. I replaced the crank sensor and it runs now. I can’t believe the crank sensor went bad at the exact same time I was working on the fuel rail (Murphy's law I guess) anyway thanks for everyone’s help. The project continues.
Yeah I don't think I ever had that happen. Hopefully you got a Mopar unit or you could have problems down the road.
I usually have worse problems and you are welcome

Quick Reply: No spark after fuel Rail/Throttle removal...