2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

slack in new timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 12:59 AM
i4ni
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slack in new timing chain

Why do new timing chains SUCK ? I checked my old timing chain slack at the timing cover using the rotor method and determined it had about 9 degrees of slack which is supposed to equal to about 1/2" at the chain. I pulled the timing cover and sure enough its about 1/2". Time for a new timing set. I start doing quite a bit of research reading reviews and ads and forum opinions weighing the pros and cons which only makes my decision a thousand times more difficult. You start comparing brand this,billet that, double roller blah blah,that one sucks,no you suck. After a couple of hours of this crap I'm totally wore out and more confused than before I started. I finally decided to just tap out. Got up the next morning and made my mind up in 10 minutes. Ordered $45 Cloyes double roller from Rock Auto. Comes in, I put it on and I'll be go to hell. This new SOB is just as loose as the one took off. Pretty sure bottom end has never been apart. Should of just got it at Oreillys

Old 04-11-2020, 01:21 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Little cabin fever got ya?

New chains have slack too. It's how they're made. My new double roller had as much slack as the stocker did at 200k. Only difference I noticed was quieter when shutting off engine. Slap on the Cloyes and get -r- done.

Old 04-11-2020, 01:49 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

They recommended adding a chain tensioner to keep it tight.

Old 04-11-2020, 11:18 AM
i4ni
Amateur

Ramman ;Little cabin fever got ya?
LoL. Yeah, all these voices in my head need to practice social distancing......WHAT??....I didn't say anything.....I'm hungry........SHUT UP....
Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
They recommended adding a chain tensioner to keep it tight.
LoL. I dunno those things look like a pipe bomb to me.,,,,"911, What is your emergency?"

Old 04-12-2020, 10:40 AM
Ramman18
Champion

Who recommends a tensioner? Nobody here has ever said that. If the stock chain doesn't have it, then don't add it. The Cloyes is a good chain. I've had mine now for over 60k and it's still quiet. Don't worry about the slack. It's just par for the course.

HAPPY EASTER!

Old 04-12-2020, 11:15 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Who recommends a tensioner? Nobody here has ever said that. If the stock chain doesn't have it, then don't add it. The Cloyes is a good chain. I've had mine now for over 60k and it's still quiet. Don't worry about the slack. It's just par for the course.

HAPPY EASTER!
Highly recommended not only on this site but countless others.

Old 04-12-2020, 11:35 AM
Mike Holmen
Professional
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Here is the chain tensioner that mopar mentioned.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...SABEgKPM_D_BwE

Old 04-12-2020, 02:13 PM
i4ni
Amateur

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Here is the chain tensioner that mopar mentioned.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...SABEgKPM_D_BwE
I'm sure they help keep the timing consistent but they just look too flimsy to me . Besides that I'm pretty sure i seen one on Forensic Files taped to a pipe bomb.

Old 04-12-2020, 04:11 PM
Ramman18
Champion

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Highly recommended not only on this site but countless others.
Maybe by you but no one has ever mandated it and it's hardly been discussed. I've been here a very long time and have read or experienced everything these trucks entail. If the stock chain doesn't come with a tensioner, then I'm not adding one. And the OP shouldn't either. The end.

Old 04-12-2020, 08:22 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Maybe by you but no one has ever mandated it and it's hardly been discussed. I've been here a very long time and have read or experienced everything these trucks entail. If the stock chain doesn't come with a tensioner, then I'm not adding one. And the OP shouldn't either. The end.
Lmao dude literally every thread asking about a timing chain they recommend clothes double roller and the clothes tensioner. No it's not mandated because it didn't come stock but keep the chain tight.

Quick Reply: slack in new timing chain