2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Any reason a transmission would start shifting softer ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 01:29 AM
POSram2001
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any reason a transmission would start shifting softer ?

So I did a swap on my 01 5.9 almost 12k miles ago.

the transmission always chirped the tires pretty good , it was almost annoying at first at low speeds. I’ve noticed that my shifts , espically my 1-2 shift , has been softening up a little. I still feel the shift kit but not as well as I used to.

Most of you no doubt have a rebuilt trans with a shiftkit so you know what one feels like. You can literally feel one gear disengage as the other engages.

The trans still shifts good but why would some of the shifts soften up a little ?

The guy who hooked everything back up after I did most of the work said that the ecu/pcm has to pretty much relearn the shifts or something to that nature and that some cars continue to change their shifting pattern based how you drive.

id never heard anything like that but I did come across something called adaptive learning which sounded like something similar.

I know how fast the gears shift is based off of the parameters in the ecu but would it take almost 12k miles for the computer to change its pattern ?

Note all the shift points are exactly the same as before just some of the shifts are softer and not as neck snapping fast.

Maybe the bands are starting to get out of adjustment ? Idk

im scared maybe my gears are wearing down but my fluid level is fine

Old 04-30-2020, 01:53 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm guess you have the 46RE transmission. Adaptive learning is for fully electronic transmissions. That would be a 45RFE, or 545RFE. No I have alway rebuild the transmission to factory specs. No shift kits. What happens if you start off the low gear from a start?

Old 04-30-2020, 02:05 AM
POSram2001
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by master tech
I'm guess you have the 46RE transmission. Adaptive learning is for fully electronic transmissions. That would be a 45RFE, or 545RFE. No I have alway rebuild the transmission to factory specs. No shift kits. What happens if you start off the low gear from a start?
it shifts exactly like you would expect it to.

1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-OD

never had any problems with it. I’ve gone up mountains with it, I’ve driven it cross country , etc.

no issues.

Old 05-01-2020, 12:46 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Then it maybe the valve body assy. They do go bad even after someone has gone thru them.

Quick Reply: Any reason a transmission would start shifting softer ?