2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine surging

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 07:17 PM
Idoram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine surging

My Dodge Ram 3500 is driving me nuts, the son of a gun keep surging. It’s like driving a car with the ignition cutting off constantly. I have changed the vp44 injection pump few years ago without any concern. It feels like the pump deliver fuel and then stops, surges for few seconds and starts again in a sort of cog wheeling action. Or maybe an earth problem? Is the pump grounded? This problem is getting more and more frequent. At the bottom of a hill fully loaded with the truck starting surging and losing speed constantly it’s not a very nice situation, it’s very annoying and frustrating.
Can someone help me to find out or someone who has had experienced the same problem.
Thanks
Vince

Old 02-17-2020, 08:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

How is the lift pump?

Old 03-12-2020, 08:29 PM
Idoram

[QUOTE=HeyYou;3471118]How is the lift pump?[/
I bought and installed a new lift pump on my truck with a test run but didn’t fix this continuous problem.
Could it possibly be coming from a faulty injector ?
Any help would be gratefully appreciated
thanks
Vince

Old 03-12-2020, 09:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

What year is your truck? Are you getting any codes?

Old 03-13-2020, 02:11 AM
Idoram

Originally Posted by HeyYou
What year is your truck? Are you getting any codes?
it is a 2001 model and it hasn’t been in the computer yet, I’m living in small country town in Australia and they haven’t a comp to read the codes. Excuse my rookie questions but where can I find this computer?
Thanks
Vince

Old 03-13-2020, 08:30 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Is the check engine lite on? Around here, the big chain parts stores have scanners, and will read codes for free. Aside from that, you could likely get one online without too much trouble.

Old 03-13-2020, 06:49 PM
Idoram

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Is the check engine lite on? Around here, the big chain parts stores have scanners, and will read codes for free. Aside from that, you could likely get one online without too much trouble.
the check engine lite had been on once not so long ago for a short period of time. When I started the engine the next day, the lite was off and didn’t come back so far.
I still have a card up my sleeve, I’m gonna ask the mechanic shop few miles away if they have a scanner. We’ll see what he can do.
thanks for now, I’ll keep you in the loop.
Cheers
Vince

Old 05-01-2020, 08:09 AM
Cherokee9
Default Possibly the fuel cap

Created an account just to send in my lesson learned, share my frustrations and maybe save a but load of chasing their tail. If your still having issues or if anyone knows someone chasing a random lose of fuel pressure, this may help. I run an 01 3500 DRW 4x4 5.9 Cummins NV5600. Ran into what sounds similar to this issue a year or two ago. At start no issue, but under load I had serious fuel pressure drops. The more the load the faster the fall, and it may or may not slowly come back up when I let off. Truck would start dropping cylinders or die if it didn't climb fast enough. Now being a diesel and agricultural equipment mechanic for most of my life, and a family full of certified technicians, I felt absolutely stupid when I finally figured it out. After I replaced my fuel filters, replaced my FASS fuel pump, replaced my supply and return lines, installed a adjustable fuel Pressure regulator, dropped tank and replaced my fuel sump and draw straw. It ended up being the d@#$ FUEL CAP. Now if that doesn't make sense to some, don't feel bad. I found it on accident. The fuel tank vent is built into the cap. When it gets clogged or overtightened (more than likely what I did), it for the most seals the fuel system. As your engine uses the fuel, that fuels volume in the tank is replaced with outside air. With the vent sealed, your tank just turned into a vacuum chamber. As the vacuum in the tank increases, it starts countering the ability for your lift pump to draw and send fuel to the injection pump. If you remove your fuel cap and hear, see, or feel a rush of air in or out of the fill neck. You've got a vent issue. I don't speak very often and prefer to be alone most of the time, so those who read through this ramble thanks for listening. The discription of operation is for those without the experience and to help someone understand. Not talking down to anyone.

Quick Reply: Engine surging