2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Various Issues with my New Truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2020, 11:42 PM
RedSparky
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Let the engine idle, grab the harness for the sensor, and start moving it around. if it's bad, the engine should stumble, or die.....
I did that, as I gently pulled the harness it started to stumble. When I pushed it towards the firewall, it ran well. Does that mean that the fault is in the wiring then?

Originally Posted by Moparite
If you pulled the distributor/pump drive gear it's possible you didn't put it back in correctly and this could be setting the code. In the LA motors you could run it in any position as long as the firing order was correct. In the magnums you can't do it. Get the motor to TDC #1 cylinder on the COMPRESSION STROKE. Remove the cap and see where the rotor is pointing. If you can't set it like in the pic it's probably off.

I just checked it and it lines up just like in the picture.

Old 08-30-2020, 02:13 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by RedSparky
I did that, as I gently pulled the harness it started to stumble. When I pushed it towards the firewall, it ran well. Does that mean that the fault is in the wiring then?

I just checked it and it lines up just like in the picture.
More than likely it's a wiring issue if you can replicate the problem moving the harness lol

Old 08-30-2020, 11:51 AM
RedSparky
Amateur

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
More than likely it's a wiring issue if you can replicate the problem moving the harness lol
When I click the key forward 3 times I get: P0340. But when I scan it with an OBD I get both p0340 and p1391. Which code do I go off of here?

Old 08-30-2020, 12:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Likely both referring to the same problem..... given the P0340, that's the one I would go after first, and see if fixing one, doesn't fix the other as well.

Old 09-26-2020, 10:05 PM
RedSparky
Amateur

Likely both referring to the same problem..... given the P0340, that's the one I would go after first, and see if fixing one, doesn't fix the other as well.
So I ended up getting a new harness from a reputable scrap yard in very nice condition. Part numbers match up. It runs much better now, but P0340 comes on still. Is there a chance it’s the distributor itself being old and eroded on the contacts? Or am I now to just the sensor and the PCM?

Old 09-27-2020, 07:36 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

If you are seeing the same problem with a different harness..... yeah, the problem is likely elsewhere. If you have an aftermarket sensor in the distributor, get a genuine mopar piece, see if that changes anything. (don't forget to clear codes after you change it.) The sensor is just a hall-affect switch.... so, no contacts to corrode.

Old 09-27-2020, 08:43 AM
RedSparky
Amateur

If you are seeing the same problem with a different harness..... yeah, the problem is likely elsewhere. If you have an aftermarket sensor in the distributor, get a genuine mopar piece, see if that changes anything. (don't forget to clear codes after you change it.) The sensor is just a hall-affect switch.... so, no contacts to corrode.
The sensor is a genuine mopar. The harness is a genuine mopar. Both parts numbers confirmed with a dodge dealership. Where else could the problem lie really? Could it be a crank sensor?

Last edited by RedSparky; 09-27-2020 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-27-2020, 02:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

What codes are you getting?

Old 09-27-2020, 07:41 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Recently another member for a sensor from the dealer but it wasn't a genuine Mopar they only told him after he installed it

Old 10-04-2020, 02:26 AM
RedSparky
Amateur

What codes are you getting?
Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Recently another member for a sensor from the dealer but it wasn't a genuine Mopar they only told him after he installed it
It was still throwing P0340.

Excited Update: I went to a u-pull-it yard and grabbed 4 of the same sensor with the exact same part number. I walked away with it for under $5! Sweet! I took the nicest looking one and switched the sensor in the distributor. Now it began to throw P1391, so I put the recently purchased new one in the distributor. Still 1391, I grabbed a Crank Position sensor from dodge, and now it runs like a dream! No more codes, now to test drive it and test out the transmission!

The following users liked this post:
2bit (10-05-2020)

Quick Reply: Various Issues with my New Truck