2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Another Cam question

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 04:47 PM
Mike Holmen
Professional
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Depending on how big of cam you go with, you might need to fly cut the pistons. You building the engine yourself? I would check the valve to piston clearace, you need about 80-100 thou of clearance.

If you shave some material off the deck (straighten the deck out), helps with increasing compression. Building these old mopars aren't cheap. I would forget the tune and go with a carb, just easier/cheaper.

Old 06-06-2020, 06:40 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Depending on how big of cam you go with, you might need to fly cut the pistons. You building the engine yourself? I would check the valve to piston clearace, you need about 80-100 thou of clearance.

If you shave some material off the deck (straighten the deck out), helps with increasing compression. Building these old mopars aren't cheap. I would forget the tune and go with a carb, just easier/cheaper.
I am building it myself and have in the list to check the valve to piston clearance. I built motor before just never a Magnum. Carb isn't even a thought because I hate them. I like fuel injected.

Old 06-07-2020, 08:35 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 365 Likes on 343 Posts

If you are getting new pistons that won't be an issue. You can get them with valve cut outs. If you go with Keith Black pistons be sure you install the rings to the manufactures specs. I have seen them break off the top section of the piston above the ring if done incorrectly.

Old 06-07-2020, 10:29 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
If you are getting new pistons that won't be an issue. You can get them with valve cut outs. If you go with Keith Black pistons be sure you install the rings to the manufactures specs. I have seen them break off the top section of the piston above the ring if done incorrectly.
Reusing factory pistons

Quick Reply: Another Cam question