2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shocks for 2wd

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 09:37 PM
Anthony Brady
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shocks for 2wd

I'm looking for shocks for my 2wd 1500, I recently added 2-3" on the front to level the truck out but my shock is riding around maxed out. I've done some googling and have only came up with some cheapy stuff. Any ideas on a nice set of shocks for my application?

Old 05-26-2020, 08:02 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Billstien 5100's. Or similar from other manufacturers. (KYB, Monroe, etc.) On the 4wd trucks, 2 to 3 inches of lift, you can still use stock shocks. Are yours getting fully extended at full droop? (using your shocks as limiting straps just doesn't work out well. )

The following users liked this post:
Anthony Brady (05-26-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 02:26 PM
Anthony Brady

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Billstien 5100's. Or similar from other manufacturers. (KYB, Monroe, etc.) On the 4wd trucks, 2 to 3 inches of lift, you can still use stock shocks. Are yours getting fully extended at full droop? (using your shocks as limiting straps just doesn't work out well. )
Yeah my shocks I have on now are fully extended. I've found shocks for the lift but they are brands that I don't know much about. Do u think I could just use the measurements they have and find a 5100 with the sameish specs? Also can I use 4wd shocks on my 2wd?

Old 05-26-2020, 04:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony Brady
Yeah my shocks I have on now are fully extended. I've found shocks for the lift but they are brands that I don't know much about. Do u think I could just use the measurements they have and find a 5100 with the sameish specs? Also can I use 4wd shocks on my 2wd?
I think the shocks mount different on a 4x4, but, having never seen a 2wd up close and personal.... Not sure on that.

If you can find shocks by dimensions, go for it. Don't forget to check compressed length. Using your shocks as bump stops is just as bad, if not worse, than using them as limiting straps.

Old 05-28-2020, 01:52 PM
Anthony Brady

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I think the shocks mount different on a 4x4, but, having never seen a 2wd up close and personal.... Not sure on that.

If you can find shocks by dimensions, go for it. Don't forget to check compressed length. Using your shocks as bump stops is just as bad, if not worse, than using them as limiting straps.
I found some shocks finally and after checking the specs the 4wds have too long of a compressed length but skyjacker makes shocks for this specific application so I'mma see how they do. Can't be worse then what I got now hahaha

Old 06-14-2020, 12:59 PM
Anthony Brady

Originally Posted by Anthony Brady
I found some shocks finally and after checking the specs the 4wds have too long of a compressed length but skyjacker makes shocks for this specific application so I'mma see how they do. Can't be worse then what I got now hahaha
Well in the end I found some Bilstein 5100 with the right dimensions glad I waited a couple of days and took one last check truck rides nice just need to replace my rear shocks now

Quick Reply: Shocks for 2wd