2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Distributor cap rotates by hand???

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2020, 02:51 PM
Dominic Pader
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Distributor cap rotates by hand???

I'm assuming this is a bad thing...

1999 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 5.9L gas

I've been dealing with a crap ton of issues. Recently replaced the timing chain, PCM, ignition coil, distributor with cam sensor (pickup coil), cap/rotor/plugs, crankshaft position sensor, and found that my upstream O2 sensor was completely disconnected.

I got codes P0430 (crank position sensor) and P1391 (crank/cam sensor disagreement).

Main issue right now is an intermittent crank-no-start (no spark) issue. Happens for a while and then goes away for a while... I get 15-20 perfect starts and it drives great, then suddenly no spark for a bunch of tries, then after 5-30 tries it starts.

Figured it was the pickup coil (cam sensor) under the distributor cap, but when I got up there I noticed that the distributor cap rotated freely in my hand... back and forth at least 20 degrees or more... as far as the plug wires will allow.

Should that cap rotate like that??? Would that rotation cause those codes and the intermittent crank-no-start (no spark) problem? What is supposed to hold it from rotating? And does it have to be in an extremely specific position to tighten it down, or is visually centering it sufficient?

Sorry... lots of questions all at once...

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-30-2020, 02:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

No. The cap shouldn't move at all. That is quite possibly the root of your various issues there. (the codes, and no start) Figure out what is moving, is it JUST the cap? Or is the whole distributor moving???

Cap is held to the distributor by two screws/bolts. (can't remember which) Distributor itself is held down by one bolt thru a clamp. The relationship between cam and crank sensor is pretty critical though. That is going to need a fairly high-zoot scanner to set properly. (fuel sync)

Old 05-30-2020, 02:56 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Shouldn't rotate, no. Two screws hold it to the distributor.

Old 05-31-2020, 10:13 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

The two screw holes are offset so it can only go on one way. Check that there are no pieces of plastic at the bottom that missed quality control that wasn't removed stooping it from going on correctly.

Quick Reply: Distributor cap rotates by hand???