2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

95 Ram 2500 V10 LOW OIL PRESSURE

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 09:11 PM
ROCKY1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Ram 2500 V10 LOW OIL PRESSURE

This truck has only 71.000 miles on it. While I had it apart dealing with a cooling issue, went all the way and pulled the timing cover hoping to find loose
oil pump cover screws - no such luck. I was upset to find the timing chain with almost a whole inch of play. This motor is super clean and very well taken
care of and I cannot find anything to cause the low pressure which is about 10 ibs. all the time, with the light staying on just at first. The oil pump looks
fine although I do not know what to check for. The pressure valve is also clean and intact. I do not have the oil pan off, but could there be an issue with
the pickup screen? The oil pressure does not even seem to go up at higher engine speeds and the motor runs perfectly quiet. I am not sure a new oil
pump would make any difference. Any suggestions on where to purchase one? I would hate to have to put this motor back together without solving the
problem, Any thoughts from some of you guys that have dealt with this V10 engine would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rocky1

Old 06-04-2020, 09:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Did you pull the pressure relief valve out, and inspect? I know those springs like to break.

Is your oil pressure actually low? Or is the sending unit simply lying to you? Probably wouldn't hurt to plug in a mechanical gauge, and see what oil pressure really is.

I think there is a spec for clearance between the two moving oil pump parts. Should be in the service manual somewhere. (get one here.)

Old 06-06-2020, 09:36 AM
ROCKY1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello:
Thanks for the shop manual info. It did help. I checked all the specs on the timing cover oil pump rotors, and there is no wear. Thinking that purchasing new rotors
would be a waste a of $. However I did find the oil pressure relief valve spring to be about a quarter inch short in length and the plug was not as tight as possible. So
if I understand correctly the more pressure on the relief valve the higher the engine oil pressure should be? Assuming the rest of the engine is ok. The over pressure would just drain back into the pan? I already lived thru the plastic water/outlet thermostat housing battle. Finally found the updated aluminum housing for $150.00 but had to plane it flat because that leaked too. Yes I had been checking the oil pressure with a manual gauge.

Rocky1
95 Ram 2500 HD 2wd Super Cab 8 ft. Bed V10

Old 06-07-2020, 08:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Spring certainly could be an issue. Parts are still available for those, so, replace it. See what that does for oil pressure.

Quick Reply: 95 Ram 2500 V10 LOW OIL PRESSURE