2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Headlight question

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 11:50 AM
Joeyarsenault92
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlight question

Hey everyone I got a 2001 ram with single beam headlights I just put on some spec d headlights and I'd like to get it working where when i switch to my high beams the low beams stay on right now it's one or the other, I read that there is a trick under the dash where you splice into 2 wires and make both stay on when you switch to high beams but does that only work on the sport models or will it work with my factory single beam wiring aswell? I dont want to try and then burn something out! Thanks!

Old 06-08-2020, 12:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

I think that only works with the quad headlight system. Another factor is, the headlight switches in these truck are notorious for melting even in stock form..... putting a heavier load on it then is already there is a big gamble..... There was another thread about this a while back, using the 'heavy duty relay harness' available at LMC truck, and a few other places. With some creative wiring, you can get what you want, but, keep in mind, the heat from both filaments on the single bulb may melt the housings.

Old 06-08-2020, 01:07 PM
Joeyarsenault92
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I think that only works with the quad headlight system. Another factor is, the headlight switches in these truck are notorious for melting even in stock form..... putting a heavier load on it then is already there is a big gamble..... There was another thread about this a while back, using the 'heavy duty relay harness' available at LMC truck, and a few other places. With some creative wiring, you can get what you want, but, keep in mind, the heat from both filaments on the single bulb may melt the housings.

That is a good point I got 2 sets of led lights coming in for the high and low beam so I dont mind modifying the harness to make both of them work at the same time anyways, I plan on using relays to get power straight from the battery and leave basically no load on the switch, I know I can do it but just gotta figure out exactly how first! I cant wrap my head around how to get both of them to stay on using relays

Old 06-08-2020, 02:29 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeyarsenault92
That is a good point I got 2 sets of led lights coming in for the high and low beam so I dont mind modifying the harness to make both of them work at the same time anyways, I plan on using relays to get power straight from the battery and leave basically no load on the switch, I know I can do it but just gotta figure out exactly how first! I cant wrap my head around how to get both of them to stay on using relays
Just need two diodes and you are done. It's really simple

Old 06-08-2020, 02:52 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 320 Likes on 302 Posts

I recently converted to sport headlights on my '96 Dodge Ram 2500, which is a 4 bulb system. In order to make the headlights work properly, I went ahead and purchased the headlight harness/relay kit from these folks - its a very well made harness and I plan to install it shortly

https://ceautoelectricsupply.com/hea...ion-relay-kit/

Old 06-08-2020, 05:05 PM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeyarsenault92
Here you go. I draw a quick wiring diagram for a Bosch type relays. I have that on my truck so I can keep low beams on while I also have high beams = single led bar, on. High beams on stock lamps are worth for nothing, this way I have much better lighting.
You don't need pin 87a on this wiring, I just tend to draw it out of habit as we only have 5-pin relays at work. Trick to make low beams work with high beams, is to wire diode between the relay coils. Diode has a grey ring on the housing, and in order to make the relays work correctly, you want the grey ring to face towards the low beam relay.

Old 06-08-2020, 05:20 PM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts

When I originally relayed lights on my truck, I took out the LH side battery tray so I could easily open up the wiring loom and locate the lo/hi beam wires. Then I pulled the wires to relay coils (pin 85), and back to the loom from pin 87. All the wires needed some extensions so I could locate the realys next to a PDC. There is a splice under the battery, you'll need to cut the wires before that to get all the headlight load out of the light switch (I didn't know that, and was slightly puzzled when RH low beam was on even though I had both relays on my hands).

Quick Reply: Headlight question