2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1998 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 gas Steering problems.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 04:51 AM
Edward J Roesbery Jr.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 gas Steering problems.

I have been to 3 different shops trying find a problem with my steering. I have been told at the first shop it was time for a new steering box and track bar. 2nd shop said the track bar needs replaced but the steering box is fine. 3rd shop said the steering box was fine but needs a new track bar. So I thought I would ask advice as to what steering components have worked for the people in forum. I thought if I was going to replace the track bar I might as well buy a stabizer steering brace and a duel shock stabilzer kit to replace my single shock stabilizer. Any advice is appreciated as to what has worked or could work best for my old truck. It has a Rancho suspension with 3 inch lift and RS9000 shocks with air lift for leveling in the rear. I have heard the 1/4 steel piece dodge ram stabizer kit for $150.00 WOULD BE SUGGESTED BUT NEED A SECOND OPINION AND THE DUEL SHOCK STABILIZER KIT COMES WITH DIFFERENT BRACKETS AS TO WHAT ONE TO BUY IS A QUESTION AND i NEED A ADJUSTABLE TRACK BAR AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THERE IS ANY RECOMMENDATIONS HERE. ANY HELP OR ADVICE IS WELCOME. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Old 06-13-2020, 07:07 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

How many miles do you have? Get both front wheels off the ground and then move the track bar(at the frame mounting point) up/down side to side. Any movement is a sign of wear and should be replaced. You can move the steering shaft and look for slop in the steering gear. Also move a tire left-right. You may be able to remove some of the slop in the steering gear by adjusting the bolt on top.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:33 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Redhead Steering boxes are the best on the market.

Dual steering stabilizers don't work unless you are using a high end shocks (which would put the price into the $600 dollar range). The best thing is a high mount AND low mount stabilizer. I am using Carli.

If you checked and your Track Bar is bad upgrade to the 3rd gen Track bar

Old 06-13-2020, 11:43 AM
Edward J Roesbery Jr.

Truck Has 210,000 miles but has been well kept since off the showroom in 1998. I checked the track bar and yes there is movement. ( So that will need replaced) also since all this I'm doing to the truck. I'm getting a upgrade from 285/75/R16 to 315/75/R16 . I have adjusted the nut on the top before on the steering box and I was thiking if I go ahead get the dodge ram steering brace Or one like it) I will be able to readjust back so its not so hard to turn. Thank you for the help.

Old 06-13-2020, 11:47 AM
Edward J Roesbery Jr.

The 3rd Gen steering and track Bar is a T style and I will need a adapter of some kind if I'm not mistaken to convert the 2nd Gen is a Y style ( I was under the assumption the 2nd Gen Y had no conversion for the 3rd Gen T style steering) . But Ill look into it thanks for the info.

Old 06-13-2020, 12:07 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by Edward J Roesbery Jr.
The 3rd Gen steering and track Bar is a T style and I will need a adapter of some kind if I'm not mistaken to convert the 2nd Gen is a Y style ( I was under the assumption the 2nd Gen Y had no conversion for the 3rd Gen T style steering) . But Ill look into it thanks for the info.
Not the steering just the track bar. The only upgrade in steering you can do is the 98-99 HD steering which is the T style.

Old 06-13-2020, 01:16 PM
Edward J Roesbery Jr.

Oh ok. What adjustable track bar would you recommend?

Old 06-13-2020, 01:18 PM
Edward J Roesbery Jr.

Will that be all i need for the adjustable track bar conversion from stock - i see in other kits it needs a right side steering bracket. But I'm not sure. Thank you for the info. Ill look further into it before I order.

Old 06-13-2020, 03:04 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by Edward J Roesbery Jr.
Will that be all i need for the adjustable track bar conversion from stock - i see in other kits it needs a right side steering bracket. But I'm not sure. Thank you for the info. Ill look further into it before I order.
You need a conversation bracket I personally made my own but I like Thuren's bracket and then you can use any 3rd gen adjustable track bar. They have bushings on both ends instead of the tie rod end

Old 06-13-2020, 03:24 PM
Edward J Roesbery Jr.

Thats what I thought was not sure - So just so understand you are saying i can remove my stock track bar and the get the bracket for the 3rd gen 2 gen conversion for like $150.00 i think I saw them for and the get a 3rd gen adjustable track Bar - What kind would you recommend? Any recommendations on the steering stabilizer kit ( I see them for $120.00 to $280.00 but only difference is one brace is a 1/4 steel plate bent to fit no welds and the other is square tube welded with both having same bearing and design mounts. I'm learning towards the one from DODGERAMSTABILZER.com only because of the solid one piece and no welds to brake - you never know how good a weld is until it breaks. (That would really suck). But your guys opinion is highly valued so Ill listen to anyone's advice - Pro or Con. I just don't want spend alot and find out i got the wrong setup- or go cheap and end up replacing it in 3 to 5 years. Ill look into Thuren bracket.

Quick Reply: 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 gas Steering problems.